Only Gonna Say It Once

By- Peach Creek

Summary: Kevedd one-shot. Kevin wants to ask Edd to the dance. 
**********************************

Kevin Barr had been acting weird all day, and everybody knew it.

Nazz and Rolf knew because of course they did. They were his best friends. If they hadn't figured it out, he would have been offended. He never told either of them exactly what this was about, but he was pretty sure Nazz had it figured out, and Rolf…well, he could never quite tell exactly what the fuck Rolf was thinking. But the strong teen with the farmer's tan, even in winter, had been exchanging looks across the room with Nazz all day, so Kevin figured it was safe to assume he knew.

The football team knew because he was their captain. They paid attention to him. The cheerleading squad knew for more or less the same reason. The rest of the school knew because he was the popular kid, and news about Kevin Barr traveled fast in a place as small as Peach Creek High. Even the Eds seemed to know, if Eddy's sniggers whenever the redhead passed by were anything to go on, and that was unnerving.

Because today Kevin was going to ask Double D to the winter formal.

"If you ever work up the courage to," Nazz said, jabbing her finger in between his eyes as she leaned across the table. "Lunch is almost over, you've had two classes with him already, and you haven't even said hi to him yet!"

"Casanova-Kevin must be strong like mama's ox! Here, eat this." Rolf lifted a massive forkful of whatever monstrosity was festering away on his plate and held it in Kevin's direction. Nazz gagged and brought a hand to her nose, but Rolf didn't even blink. "Nana's old recipe, yes? The juice of the radish will butter the biscuit of your cowardice!"

"Dude, you've been spending too much time with Ed. You're making less sense than usual." Kevin leaned back to escape the food, if it could even be called that. "I'm not a coward, I'm just…"

"A chicken?" Nazz offered.

"A sissy?" Rolf supplied.

"A scaredy-cat?"

"A small female human?"

"Oh, oh! One of those small, shaky dogs that pees when you scare it?"

"Alright, I get it!" Kevin interjected. He blew out a sigh and looked across the cafeteria to that familiar black beanie. "I'll do it during gym class."

"No, you won't. Today's dodgeball day. You know he'll worm his way out of that somehow."

"Aw, damn. You're right. After school, then. I'll find him before he leaves." He glanced again toward Double D's table and wrinkled his nose. "Think you can get dumb and dumber out of the way?"

"Leave it to Rolf!" the shepherd's son shouted, slamming his hand down on the table. "I will not let you down!" Rolf stood, placing one foot on the bench and the other up on the table, a fist over his chest to proclaim his loyalty.

"Yeah, yeah, thanks, but get down before you get us in trouble!"

Thanks to eagle-eyed Mrs. Foster, they did end up having to clean trays for half an hour as punishment for Rolf's antics, and by the time Kevin got to class he was too late to hear the teacher tell Double D that he had to participate or risk a failing grade. It wasn't until he'd joined a team and ended up face-to-face with the dork that he realized Double D was even in the room, and the unexpected encounter brought a heavy blush to his cheeks.

"Greetings, Kevin," Double D offered nervously, wringing his hands.

"Double Dork," Kevin responded, and the game began.