CHAPTER SIXTEEN

I and Samuel sat under the moonlight on the swing for hours, we talked about random things, he refused to tell me the reason why he was crying earlier. We just talked and joked in between, okay, I will admit that spending time with him isn't so bad after all.

He was really funny and I laughed so hard, forgetting about the argument I had with Maisie earlier. I know I shouldn't but I couldn't help it. I shouldn't be laughing and talking with him, I know. Who made those stupid rules that friendship can't exist between a maid and the royal family?

"We need to get some sleep. It is really late" Samuel said and stood up from the swing.

"Okay" I replied standing up too. We walked out from the garden together "you are still not going to talk to me about why you were sad earlier?" I ask with a childish tone.

"Nope" he refused for the sixth time and I gave up asking "thank you for keeping me company" he said as we walked through the halls.

"It is mutual" I said and he smiled.

"I told you hanging out with me isn't so bad" he said. Everywhere was dead silent. Everyone was asleep. I wondered how we stayed out so late. Although, night guards were moving around, protecting the castle. No one spared us a glance as they went about parading the environment.

"Well you were right" I accepted "but we can't be friends" I said.

"Why?" He asked.

"You know why" I said. He sighed.

"I really enjoyed your company. I really wish to spend time with you, as friends" he said with a calm tone.

"Well we can't be friends" I said.

"But I can spend time with you, like today, right?" He asked "please" he pleaded.

"I will think about it. We can't be seen together" I told him.

"It is fine by me" he said as we took the path leading to my room.

"Aren't you going to your room?" I asked when he followed me.

"I will, I just want to make sure you got to your room safely" he said.

"There are night shift guards around" I informed him.

"I know. I don't trust this guys" he said and I chuckle.

We got to the front of my door and I turned to face him "good night prince Samuel" I bowed.

"Good night Amelia" he said with a smile and I turned to enter the room.

I got into the room, took of my shoes and the thick clothing of my outfit before collapsing on the bed, soon I slept off.

                    ************
The next morning, I woke up early, took my bath with my friends and got dressed. Before I went to Oliver's bedroom, I decided to talk to Maisie.

"Maisie" I pulled her aside before madam Elizabeth comes to assign duties.

Maisie crossed her hand against each other under her breasts with a frown on her face "what do you want?" She asked frowning.

"We need to talk" I said.

She remained silent.

"I want to let you know that I had no intention whatsoever to dance with the prince. I have no feelings for him. I know you like him. I don't have any intention of stealing him or being with him. We both know it is a punishable offense" I told her.

She still remained silent folding her arms.

"The prince and I are just friends, I know you said I shouldn't be friends with them. It is not a bad idea to be friends with the royal family, they are nice. They don't criticize us, they see us as humans too, though not equal to them but important to them" I said.

"And how do you know this? Did your princess tell you that?" She asked.

"She did" I lied, actually it was Samuel who told me that, I just didn't want her to know that I hanged out with Samuel last night.

"You are friends with the prince why?" She eyed.

"I know I shouldn't be" I say

"Amelia you are going to get yourself in big trouble if words get out" she warned.

"I know....." I say.

"You should quit every connection you have with the prince and princess. Friendship can't exist between you. No maid has ever done this. Why are you being the first person. Take for instance, Elie, she is a handmaid just like you but there is no friendship that exist between her and princess Audrey" Maisie said.

"I know. I know. But now what can I do? I and the princess are already friends. Seizing to be friends with her means I have to quit being her handmaid" I say.

Maisie sighed "you need to be careful" she said.

"I will. Please let us drop the grudge. I really loved being friends with you. I don't want to ruin the friendship we have" I plead.

"Well......" Maisie started as the frown on her face disappeared "I am sorry I yelled at you and got angry because you danced with the prince. I just got really jealous and I let my emotions control me. I am sorry" she apologized.

"You don't have to be" I said as we hugged. I was glad this was all over.

"He likes you" Maisie stated when we disengaged.

"Who?" I asked confused.

"The prince" she reply.

"The prince?" I asked again.

"Yes. Don't you see the way he looks at you and always wants to see you?" she asked smiling.

"The prince doesn't like me. We are just cool. Why will he like a handmaid?" I ask. I wonder why she was smiling at that fact.

"Every maid has been talking about you and him" Maisie said.

"I really don't have any feelings for him neither do I have plans to develop feelings for me" I said truthfully.

"You just have to be more careful. Words shouldn't get to the king. It is a punishable offense" she said and I nod.

"I am glad we are back to being friends" I say.

Maisie smiled, she was about to say something when she heard Grace call her. We walked back to the group of maids that stood, ready to take orders. I left them and walked to Oliver's bedroom.