12 | resolutions

As suspected, your mother is seated next to your father, eyebrows drawn into a tense line as she watches you walk into the living room.

Doyoung sits beside them on the sofa, an empty gap between him and your parents. He looks tired, eyes blinking away sleep, shoulders hunched. He twiddles his thumbs, resting his forearms on his knees. Hearing your footsteps, he looks up and smiles despite his exhaustion.

"Y/n," he says wearily.

"Mum, Dad. Doyoung," you nod in greeting, taking a seat between him and your parents.

"Mum, I'm sorry about earlier–"

"Is this who you had dinner with? Instead of your family? You didn't even have the decency to introduce your boyfriend to us. How long have you two been dating? How long have you been keeping secrets from us?"

"Yes!" you exclaim, exasperated. "I had dinner with him, and we've only started dating today, okay? I've never kept secrets from you. Why do you always have to do this?" you add bitterly.

"Do what?"

"Interrogate me about everything in my life. I know you care about me, but I'm an adult now. It's okay to take a step back, you know? It gets suffocating at times, trying to live up to your expectations of a perfect relationship and balance between a job and university. And I'm tired of it all."

Your mother inhales deeply, then stands up and takes a good look at you.

"I'm giving you one chance to take that back."

For a moment, you're almost inclined to take up her offer—but the moment passes, and you shake your head firmly. She stares at you, mouth agape, and you glare back at her defiantly. "I said what I said."

She throws her hands up in the air. "You know what? Fine. I give up. I'll stop caring if that will make you any happier. If you'd rather be neglected than have parents that are concerned for your wellbeing."

She turns away and walks into your room without any further statements. Your father lets out a sigh, and turns towards you, avoiding your gaze. He rests one hand on your shoulder, jerking his chin towards the closed door. "You should say sorry to your mother."

You shake your head. "No, I won't. Not until she's willing to have a proper conversation about this. It's been building up for way too long, and I'm sick of always being the first to reach out."

"I'm trying to protect you," your father pleads. "Just say sorry to her, and it'll all be okay."

You scoff. "And then, what? We'll all be happy? No, I'll just keep holding on to these grudges, and they'll continue to build up in my chest, and all this resentment is bound to bubble over at some point. What are you going to do when that happens? Keep asking me to apologise? No. I'm done doing that. I don't need your 'protection' anymore. I just need the two of you to start treating me like an adult."

"Do you have no respect for–"

"Sir, please." Your father fixes Doyoung with a glare for the uncalled-for interruption. Doyoung bows his head meekly, but he doesn't take back what he's said.

"I'm sorry for interrupting. I know it's not my place–"

"Since you know it's not your place, then keep quiet and stay out of it."

"–but I can't just sit and watch you argue. I believe that the three of you will be able to settle this, but I don't think this is the best time to do so. Y/n's had a long day, and I'm sure you and Y/n's mum are tired from your ride here as well. How about all three of you sleep on it, then discuss it again in the morning, when you're feeling more refreshed?"