XI. FIRST YEAR

Hermione: [she, Nova, Harry, and Ron are meeting in the common room] You mean You-Know-Who's out there right now in the Forest?

Harry: But he's weak. He's living off the unicorns. Don't you see? We had it wrong. Snape doesn't want the Stone for himself. He wants the Stone for Voldemort. With the Elixir of Life, Voldemort will be strong again. He'll... he'll come back.

Ron: But if he comes back, you don't think he'll try to kill you two, do you?

Nova: I think if he'd had the chance, he might have tried to kill us tonight. But I honestly don't think he would kill me.

Hermione: Why is that?

Nova: Hagrid told me and Harry he tried to kidnap me instead of kill me.

Most people gulp.

Ron: [gulps] And to think, I've been worrying about my Potions final.

Some laugh at Ron's comment.

Hermione: Hang on a minute. [Nova, Harry, and Ron glance at her] We're forgetting one thing. Who's the one wizard Voldemort always feared? Dumbledore. As long as Dumbledore is around, Harry, Nova, you're safe. As long as Dumbledore is around, you can't be touched. [gives them a reassuring smile; Harry nods, while Nova looks doubtful]

"Why does Nova look doubtful...?" Barty asks.

"Dumbledore never protected us." Nova tells him, glaring at Dumbledore.

"Oh..."

Later all the students are rushing out as they finish their exams.

Hermione: I'd always heard Hogwarts' end-of-the-year exams were frightful, but I've found that rather enjoyable.

Many look at Hermione like she's gone mad.

Ron: Speak for yourself. All right there, Harry?

We see Harry and Nova walking next to them, Harry rubbing his forehead right where the scar is.

Harry: My scar. It keeps burning.

Hermione: It's happened before.

Harry: Not like this.

Ron: Perhaps you should see the nurse.

Nova: I think it's a warning. It means danger's coming. [A look of realization] Ah. Oh! Of course!

Nova starts walking faster making Hermione, Harry, and Ron speed up to catch her.

Hermione: What is it?

Nova: Don't you think it's a bit odd that what Hagrid wants more than anything is a dragon, and a stranger turns up who just happens to have one? I mean, how many people wander around with dragon eggs in their pocket? Why didn't I see it before?

They approach Hagrid's hut who is playing a flute.

Nova: Hagrid, [Hagrid stops playing] who gave you the dragon egg? What did he look like?

Hagrid: I dunno. I never saw his face. He kept his hood up.

Harry: This stranger, though, you and he must have talked.

Hagrid: Well, he wanted to know what sort of creatures I looked after. I told 'im. I said, "After Fluffy, a dragon's gonna be no problem."