He had to put all those thoughts and feelings aside the moment Sirius joined them on the train. Like at Peter's birthday, James just didn't want to ruin the boy's happiness. The conversation with his mom played in his head on repeat. He will come to you and talk about it. James just had to be patient and put Sirius' feelings before his own. That was the most important thing right now.

He could see that Remus and Peter were concerned as well, but they followed James' steps in just not mentioning anything due to the fact that he was still closest with Sirius out of all of them.

The train ride was as amazing as the first time around. They talked about the presents they gave to each other and the happiness it brought. Sirius expressed his gratitude one more time in person to all of them and apologized to James for not asking his parents to join them on Christmas. He said that he just didn't want to push his luck since they let him attend Peter's birthday which James completely understood. He reassured Sirius that there was no need for the apology and that he was just glad Sirius liked his gifts.

Soon enough, the Marauders were back at Hogwarts, at their usual seats in the Great Hall having dinner. Like always, the elves didn't disappoint.

The four of them were still laughing about the fact that the paint Sirius gifted Peter for Christmas would literally make anything it touched seemed like some sort of oblivion. It would make an object look like a black sky in which you could reach with your hand. They already started to envision their next prank. Needless to say, James and Sirius were the ones exited the most.

"We can literally paint all the classroom doors with it.", Sirius whispered to them while Peter nodded in agreement, but Remus seemed hesitant, "Let's add something more to it. Doing just the doors of every classroom seems repetitive. We can maybe do half of the doors and half floors..."

But James' attention to the plan was interrupted when, in the corner of his eye, he caught sight of something greasy. When he turned away from the table, there was a mop of greasy hair near the exit of the Hall looking at them, but the second Snape noticed that James was looking back he diverted his gaze to his group of lost puppies.

James' eyes narrowed just at the sight of them, he could swear that he saw Snape lowering his wand and placing it back into his robes. Unfortunately, this assumption was confirmed once he saw the four Slytherin boys laughing and pointing directly at them.

Then he felt his mouth opening without his permission, "Guys. I think we have a problem.", he announced still not looking back at his friends, eyes fixated on Snape.

"YOU THINK?!", Sirius flipped him on the back of the head and when James turned back towards the table, he figured why Sirius yelled.

All four of them had their two front teeth growing rapidly by the second. James felt his already reaching his chin which explained why his mouth suddenly opened, the freaking teeth pushed their way out.

Sirius quickly got up from the bench and grabbed him by the collar of his uniform, dragging him away from the laughing students. He saw Remus doing the same to Peter while the smaller boy tried to cover his face. At least it was good to know that Sirius and Remus reacted good in these unexpected situations.

When the Marauders reached the exit of the hall, Snape and his little gang were laughing their butts off, tears almost spilling. James knew that there was no point in arguing, not because he didn't know what to say, but because he quite literally could barely speak. The teeth were so large that they blocked his entire mouth.

It seemed as the others agreed with him because they made their walk of shame to the Hospital Wing in silence while Snape yelled after them, "Have fun! Maybe Madam Pomfrey can grow you a mouse tail to go with the teeth!"