episode one. mars landing

after 16 hours of missed exits, screaming justin timberlake and frank ocean on the empty colorado roads, and about two tanks of gas, mari and simone are finally pulling up outside of their new apartment. simone runs in to find remy in order to pay the first three months rent while mari is in the back of the truck strategically placing the lightest boxes so she gets all of them.

after not being able to find an office or really anyone in the lobby she decides to just head back out to the truck.

"remind me how you found this place?" simone asks as mari handed her a box.

"this kid i mentored in college posted it on facebook like a year ago and the unit still hadn't been taken. i called the landlord and here we are in a new apartment with low-ish rent... but only for the first 6 months", simone paused for a moment before asking another question.

"you don't think a unit being empty of a year is kind of a red flag?"

"i like to think of it as more a pink flag!" mari says as she turns to her new roommate, "a very light red with two bedrooms and utilities included."

simone laughs as three guys walk out of the cafe across the street. mariela hops out of the truck and says hi to them before grabbing on of the lighter boxes she placed earlier. mariela joked that she and one of the guys had the same sunglasses before simone told them that they were moving in. the guy in the red hoodie said that they lived in the building, on the fourth floor.

"so i guess we're your new neighbors!" simone was happy to know that the neighbors weren't all old ladies and college kids like they were at her place in manitou springs. her new neighbors responded with an uncomfortably blank stare.

"um, i think your bagel fell out of your mouth." mari was realizing why they couldn't sell the unit and was counting down the seconds until her new neighbors left.

" mari was realizing why they couldn't sell the unit and was counting down the seconds until her new neighbors left

after bringing their boxes up apartment 4C, mari went down to grab another one and simone grabbed her laptop. she wanted to bake a cake to celebrate their first night in LA. she had about three minutes to scroll through her pinterest board and find a frosting design before mari gets back up. she settled on a london fog cake and pulled up the recipe before leaving the room.

as she walks to the UHaul, she sees mari sitting inside talking to one of the guys from before. mariela can see simone approaching with a strange look on her face and decides to explain the situation before simone gets the chance to speak.

"simone, this is winston! one of the guys from this morning. he wants to help us move in."

simone's frown disappeared instantly, "wow thank you! you know you really don't have to"