"New kid!"

Miguel stood in the middle of the cafeteria, looking around for a place to eat like a lost puppy. His head snapped to the left to see Delaney sitting at a table with two other boys, waving him over. He smiled in relief, and walked on over there before taking a seat beside her. 

"Hey! I would like to introduce you to my little entourage. The one with the flannel is my brother, Demetri, and the one in the sweater is Eli," Delaney pointed to the two people she introduced, the both of them giving small waves. 

"Nice to meet you guys," Miguel lightly chuckled, happy to make new friends. "Aren't you two sophomores? Not that it's a bad thing but, isn't Delaney a freshman? I'd think that she wouldn't want to sit with her brother."

"Correct on all of those things," Demetri nodded. "But, Laney's an honorary sophomore, so, she gets sophomore privileges. Plus, she hates change. She's friends with practically everyone in our grade but she's been sitting with us since middle school so she wants to sit with us."

"Honorary sophomore? What does that mean?"

Delaney pat Miguel on the back. "It means, new kid, that I love everyone, and everyone loves me."

The sound of heels clacking made the whole table advert their eyes. "Hi, Laney!"

The girl waved and smiled at the two other girls who passed by. Once they could no longer see her, her smiled dropped. "When I said I love everyone, that doesn't include the blonde bitch."

She then turned to Miguel, whose eyes were just fixated on the girls who had passed. Demetri took notice as well. "Dude, don't torture yourself. Those are the rich girls."

"Do you ever talk to them or..." Miguel trailed off. 

"Oh yeah! All the time," Delaney rolled her eyes and leaned back in her seat. Eli glanced at her, his lips springing up. Here goes another sarcastic Demetri ramble. "We hang out after school, make out, give each other hand jobs."

Delaney slapped her hands over her ears. "Ew, Dem!"

But, he kept on going. "Eli here is the homecoming king. Gets laid more than anyone."

She slowly dropped her hands, her face heating. 

Miguel pushed on. "What about Delaney?"

"She's the honorary sophomore. She hangs out with everyone. I can't say anything. Plus, if I did, she'd give me a purple nerple again," Demetri shrugged and took a sip of his juice like what he said was a daily occurrence. 

"Oh shit, Yasmine's looking at us. Probably just making fun of me," Eli tilted his head down, using his finger to cover his lip scar.

"I actually think your scar makes you more attractive."

The boys' heads turned to the only girl at the table, whose mouth was agape as she realized that she had said that out loud. "W ⎯ what? I'm allowed to point out attractive things about people. Like Miguel is ⎯ nice."

Demetri's face scrunched up, and he looked her up and down. "Did someone piss in your cereal this morning?"

Delaney turned to him, shoving his face to turn in the other direction. "Shut up."

While the siblings bickered, Eli was hardcore blushing at this point, eye continuously flickering to the girl that sat diagonal from him. 

"Well, I don't think she's making fun of you," Miguel tried to reassure Eli. "I mean, just because they're hot doesn't mean they're mean."

"New kid," Delaney began and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Remember what I said about people getting their heads dunked in toilets? They're the ones doing the dunking."

"What about her?" Delaney followed where his figure pointed.

"Sam Larusso? I mean, she's nice, she's alright. Her dad's loaded."

"Perfect," Miguel suddenly rose from his seat.

Delaney watched him with wide eyes. "What are you doing?"

"Striking first."

"What ⎯ " he was already walking towards the table, and she turned to the other boys. "What is he doing?"

They just shrugged, and she turned back to watch the scene. 

Kyler and his lacky Brucks got to the table before Miguel, who froze in the middle of the cafeteria. When Kyler acknowledged his presence with a mocking nod and smirk, Miguel walked back to the table in defeat. 

"Get the girl yet?" Delaney asked, sipping on a juice box Eli had given her.

"Shut up," Miguel grumbled, stabbing his fork into his lunch.

✸ AUTHOR'S NOTE ! this is a veryyy short chapter but i just wanted to get it out of the way!! i hope ya'll enjoyed that because it all goes downhill from here....