But it only lasted a moment.

The first jump was always a testing one.

But during that brief shift in space-time, the Ardanian fleet had travelled many millions of kilometres.

"Control shift went well, all systems are functioning," the navigator reported. "We are at quadrant 565"876"66, variance is 000"000"76. We'll make a calculation for the following..."

Rag'ell did not listen to the technical details of the next phase, which would take many times longer this time. All the Ardanians on the command bridge worked quickly, checking systems as the rest of the fleet gradually emerged from the space-time tunnel next to the mothership.

They were still in this star system, but would leave it on the next leap into the depths of space.

The Supreme stared uninterestedly through the porthole at his fleet as it re-formed near one of the largest planets in this system, a gas giant with huge rings of ice shards, dust and rock. 

The impressive view that would otherwise have attracted Rag'ell's attention failed to do so now.

" Proceed," he said before exiting the room, leaving the technicians and navigators to their difficult work.

They didn't need him anymore and he wanted to be left alone with his grief.

He made his way straight to his quarters, passing soldiers who bowed respectfully to him, but he didn't pay any attention to them. It was only when a familiar figure blocked his path that he stopped and looked into his sister's calm eyes.

"My lord," Rie'na spoke humbly, according to the strict rules of etiquette. "Is there anything I can do for you?"

Rag'ell shook his head, "I will be in my chambers. No one is to disturb me."

"I understand. May I keep you company? You should not be on your own now."

"I do not want company," he replied brusquely, though he knew his sister was offering to help out of love for him and did not deserve to be snapped at. She'd done her best to comfort him over the past few days, and he was grateful for her closeness. But now he really needed to be alone.

"Please let me go," he whispered in a gentler tone. "I can't... I can't talk about this."

The girl looked sympathetically at her distressed brother, she would have loved to console him somehow, but she didn't know how. "I will prepare something to ease your mind, my lord," she offered.

Rag'ell couldn't find it in himself to argue with her any further, so he nodded wearily and watched her leave.

Slowly, he dragged himself to the door of his room. He paused before it for a moment.

Everything in that room reminded him of Gabriel. The table where they ate, the piano that the dark-haired man played so beautifully, and the bed where they kissed and touched.

With a sigh, he opened the door and stepped inside.

He was startled to see one of his soldiers standing in front of a large window, in a battle suit and helmet, gazing in fascination at the huge yellow-brown planet with its rings. The Ardanian ships had just passed it, preparing for another shift in space-time.

"What are you doing here?" He snapped at him angrily, astonished at the incredible audacity. To enter the private chambers of the Supreme without an invitation was an unthinkable violation of all rules.

The man turned and removed his helmet.

Dishevelled black hair fell into his face, blue eyes locked with those of Rag'ell.