Part 23

Gabriel felt as if everyone had betrayed him.

He stared out at the silent universe, at the planet Earth, but even this breathtaking sight did not bring him peace.

The Ardanians took him back to their mothership, back to the Supreme's chambers, where he had every luxury and no danger of being bitten by rats in his sleep.

Sure, clean clothes, a warm shower and food that didn't come from an expired tin were nice, but that didn't mean he was going to forgive Rag'ell for his betrayal.

He focused on his reflection in the large window into space, and for the first time it occurred to him that he didn't really look anything like his human father. He did, however, resemble his mother, with the same features, dark hair and blue eyes. No doubt that she was indeed his mother.

But who was his real father? And did he even want to know?

He couldn't suppress the feeling of betrayal he now felt towards his mother. She must have known the whole truth and kept it from him. She had been lying all this time.

When she was so determined to keep him from becoming a pilot, wasn't there more to it than fear for his safety? If she had insisted that he take no part in the fight against the Ardanians, was it not because she knew more than she should about their uninvited guests?

Suspicions grew, and Gabriel had no idea what or whom to trust.

Although he was angry with his mother now, he prayed that she was still alive. He wished they were back together so he could talk to her about everything. And finally find out the truth.

He heard the door open, but didn't turn around. He continued to stare out into the silent starspace.

He knew it was Rag'ell. It wasn't the first time since his recapture that the Ardanian had come to him and tried to get him to talk. The last time, some minions in white uniforms had taken a blood sample from him, presumably for further tests. The Supreme tried to explain what was going on, but Gabriel ignored him.

And he was ignoring him now too.

"You have every right to be angry with me," he heard the deep voice say after a moment. "I lied to you, but please understand me. I didn't have much choice."

Gabriel looked at him, studying his unearthly appearance, his sharp features, his strangely coloured eyes and the silvery white hair now carefully braided. Was he attracted to his appearance, perhaps because it was what he unconsciously longed for? An Ardanian?

No, that was silly.

Gabriel could see that Rag'ell resented the current situation. His face reflected every emotion from regret and guilt to love, and it came through loud and clear every time he looked at him.

"Come, Gabriel. I promise no harm will come to you or your friends. But I had to do it. I needed you back here... back with me."

There was a part of Gabriel that trembled with the happiness of being back, urging him to swallow his pride and forgive the silver-haired Ardanian.

Part of him wanted to hug and kiss Rag'ell.

Gabriel tried with all his might to crush that traitorous part of him into the ground and destroy it forever.

The Supreme understood that he would get no response. With a sigh, he walked over to the small table where Rie'na, the young Ardanian girl, had prepared their meal. But he did not take it. He didn't even reach for his favourite fruit, just took a small sip of water.

"I've sent a message to Ardana, we're trying to find your father," he said after a moment in a calm tone. "It shouldn't be hard, he must have been on one of the missions here on Earth and the DNA test will identify him for sure."