[4] Choices, choices

Start from the beginning

As Ayato observed Osano's proud expression and Taro's hurt one, he was surprised to see that his threats held some truth.

As the two entered the school and into their class, Taro made sure to remind him of the event after that day. 

"We're still on for visiting the clubs after school, right?"

"Yeah," Ayato nodded. "I have time. Besides, I wanna handle this as soon as possible so I can choose a club right away."

"I'm with you on that," Taro agreed. "Maybe we should go with Osano's pick and save ourselves the trouble by choosing the cooking club."

"Maybe," Ayato shrugged and sat down. Right away, their teacher entered in a hurry, calling everyone to go to their seats.

"Right, class. Sorry, I'm late. I got upheld in traffic." The teacher took a moment to recollect himself and unpack his bag before he took to the board to start the lesson. After writing some words in chalk, he turned around to face the class. "Before we begin this class, I'd like to start by letting you know that from tomorrow onwards, you'll have a new teacher."

Those words got the students talking, and soon, everyone was wondering aloud to each other about who would be their next teacher. Ayato wondered about the sudden change as well, seeing as their teacher had been working at their school for several years now. After multiple efforts to get his students to quiet down, the teacher continued talking.

"There's nothing bad going on. My wife just had our newborn and is recovering, so I have decided to stay home and take care of her." That received a lot of sympathetic responses and congratulations until the teacher asked for their attention once more. Everyone wondered what was left to say.

"Since I won't be around to teach you guys, someone else will take my place instead. Starting tomorrow morning, I want you guys to listen to your new teacher and not cause too much trouble, alright? Now, let's move on with the lesson."

"Who do you think it is?" Osano leaned closer to Ayato as he whispered, carefully watching the teacher to avoid getting caught. "I don't know," Ayato sighed. "And I wouldn't know either. It's not like I interact with any of the teachers a lot."

"Of course not," Osano rolled his eyes at the obvious remark. "I'm asking if you think it's someone from outside this school. I've heard all the other teachers have enough students as it is. I'm curious who it'll be."

"Osano," Taro whispered, shooting him a look that said, 'Pay attention.' As Osano sighed and backed off, Ayato turned his gaze back to the board in front.

Now that Osano mentioned it, the teachers did appear to be busy teaching all the other classes. He wonders who it'll be. Then again, there's no point in thinking about it if the new teacher is going to teach their class tomorrow anyway. As their lessons passed and lunch break as well, it was finally time to look around the club rooms.

As everyone was leaving, Osano jumped from his seat, grabbed his bag, and excitedly turned to the others. "Well, I'm off to see Odayaka-kun about joining his club again. What are you guys going to do?"

Ayato turned to Taro, waiting for him to answer in their stead as the boy thought it over. "In that case, I think we should start by visiting some of the clubs we're interested in. Most of them have open days, so we can look around. We can visit those first and see if we have time for the rest."

Ayato agreed, nodding. "What clubs are there?"

Impatiently, Osano called out to them. "I will be going then since you guys still have to decide on where to go. Text me when you're done looking around and maybe we can walk home together, or not. See you!"