Chapter 8 - Raiding Padme's Closet

Start from the beginning

Wandering over to the open window overflowing with an arrangement of fragrant millaflowers, I gazed out at the scenic landscape. The countryside was so beautiful this time of year. Master Kinza and I had been here a few years back around this season, negotiating the terms of a boundary dispute at the Council's behest. My master practically had to drag me from the fields of blooming Till flowers to attend meetings with him. I smiled at the happy memory despite the sharp pang in my chest that accompanied it.

Turning away from the window, I exited my room in the mindset of checking up on Padme and how she was getting along. Granted the senator was more than capable of taking care of herself, it was still in our mandate to protect her. Besides...she was slowly become more than a charge to me. There was now an easy comradery forming between us that made me feel as if friendship was somewhere on the near horizon.

Walking the narrow hallways until I finally sensed Padme's presence within one of the larger rooms, I announced my own presence before she called out to admit me inside. Striding into the room, I was instantly hit with the surprising simplicity of it. In fact, it was near identical to my own. Padme, seeing my confusion, only laughed. The sudden movement made her servant nearly poke her with a needle as the senator was currently being fitted for a new dress.

"I don't like too much extravagance in my personal life. I find it tasteless," she admitted, her eyes watching me from the reflection of the mirror.

I eyed the sequined material wrapped around her body with an arched eyebrow, a laugh begging to fall from my lips.

Padme grinned at this and shrugged, "Okay, apart from the dresses. For those, I make an exception."

I let my feet lead me over to the open closet, admiring the numerous dresses held within. Lifting a hand, I let the soft, silky material glide over my olive skin and slip between my fingers. There were very few moments in my life when I had been allowed to dress in regular attire (usually for missions) and not that of the drab garb of the Jedi. So many rules...

Padme's voice slashed through my reverie.

"Wear one of them if you like."

My eyebrows hit my dark hairline as I whipped my head in her direction. She smiled over at me warmly, "Although I have a sister, I don't have anyone to share this aspect of my life with. Sola prefers a more unobtrusive take on fashion."

I gaped at her briefly for a moment with widened eyes. It was as if she had held out a handful of free Bama Bars to a small child. Yet...

I shook my head vehemently, "No, I can't. It wouldn't be right. Thank you but I really shouldn't..."

"Please, I insist. I can see how much you admire them."

Well...it would be quite rude to refuse a politician, would it not? Even though the Council had assigned her to be my charge, she was still the one with more authority around here. It was almost mandatory, come to think of it. Suddenly, a grin split my face and I turned back to the closet just as Padme shimmied out of her makeshift dress into another, more ornate gown of aquamarine. With the senator's expertise, we managed to choose an ensemble that fit my personality best.

"You look lovely, Jetta!" Padme beamed over at me.

The compliment made me flush scarlet as I shook my head, strands of dark hair falling across my bare shoulders as I did, "I doubt even the most beautiful of dresses could make me look lovely."

Padme rolled her eyes, about to respond when the matron from earlier walked in.

"Ma'am, you have a visitor. A Vas Jainek from Theed," the woman informed her in a serious, no-nonsense tone.

"Very well. Send him to the drawing room. I'll be there directly," Padme told her before turning back to me with a sigh, "He's one of the more recent additions to Nubian politics. There are many rumors surrounding him, however, of his arrogant impropriety and informal attitude. I can't say I'm eager to meet him,"

I nodded in sympathy at her admission, "I could always take him out for you. Just say the word and he's gone."

Padme stared at me for a moment in pure shock before the serious expression I wore broke and I burst out laughing. Soon, the senator had joined in and shaking her head with a smile, bid me goodbye before exiting the room. Taking a breath, I made my way over to the mirror and my jaw dropped when my eyes met the mirror's reflective surface.

The backless gown was a glossy ebony, shimmering with dark sequins and a plunging v-neck dripping all over with fringe. A slit ran all the way to my thigh, the rest falling in waves at my feet. The pumps Padme had loaned to me offset it perfectly, heels black as midnight with crimson millaflowers woven into the straps. I grinned, relishing in the feeling of being totally outside myself once again.

My heels clicked on the marble floor as I strode over to the balcony, the curtains lining the pillars blowing in the cool Nubian breeze. Resting my hands on the railing, I closed my eyes and breathed it all in. I finally felt free.

"Jetta, I was wondering where you had wandered off to. Padme told me you were..." a voice drifted on the breeze to where I stood as a figure stepped out onto the balcony.

Anakin's words faltered, trailing off into a lengthening stretch of silence until finally, I turned to face him. His cerulean eyes were wide and his mouth hung agape. A surge of excitement raced through me at the effect I had on him and I couldn't help but grin at this revelation.

"I decided to try something new. What do you think?"

Author's Note: What did you guys think of that chapter? At this point, I think I'm vicariously living through Jetta's antics - I'd definitely raid Padme's closet too LOL