Chapter 10 - liar

Sabrina was still avoiding to make eye contact with us. She was processing hard what we asked for. I was only hoping for her to say yes; to see if there's anything that the police is hiding from us, or who they actually think is guilty for it.
"Fine!" Sabrina yells. The pressure is now over.

Luka and I exhale happily.
"Thank you so much Sabrina!" I say, as I hold her both hands in mine.
"Anything you hear, you call us!" Luka says.

Sabrina nods, even if she still looks confuse at seeing Luka here, talking to her like they were childhood friends, while he was nothing more than a stranger in her house who seemed a lot like he was telling her what to do. If you look from the outside; but I know Sabrina won't mind. Plus, she knows how tensioned this situation is. Is not really the time to stay and wonder everything about the people who speak to us. We don't know who the police will accuse next.

I drop Sabrina's hands and lend closer to Luka. He looks at me, turns his whole body to face me and I saw how Sabrina's eyes went from calm and steady to wide and full if questions.

Luka is looking in my eyes, gently touching my hand and he smiles; he smiles because we convinced Sabrina, because we're closer to the truth now. An inch closer, but every inch matters.
"Should we go, Chlo? Finish what we began?" He calmly said.

Again. Finish what we began. Again he says this and I'm still not sure if he talks about the kiss we didn't get to have.

Sabrina's eyes are 10 times wider, 10 times more curious and I could really use some talking with my old best friend now.

"Actually, you go!" I tell him, squeezing his hand a little. "I'll stay with Sabrina! We'll see each other tomorrow!" And I give him a small smile.

He seems to agree this time, smiles at me, get up with my hand still into his.
"Fine!" He nods.

He moves his eyes on Sabrina:
"Bye Sabrina, it was a pleasure to meet you! Thank you for your help!" Then turns to me, squeezes my hand before finally letting go. "See you tomorrow, Chlo!"

As Luka leaves and shuts the door behind him, Sabrina completely turns to me, her mouth wide open, surprise all over her face when she says:
"OH MY GOD!" She says each words at seconds away of each other.

I glance uncomfortably at her, hoping she won't press me with questions about Luka, but I know she will.
"Who is him?" Sabrina comes to me, almost shaking me.
"His name is Luka!" I murmur without looking in her eyes.
"He called you 'Chlo'!? For real?!"
"It's just a nickname!" I try to save myself, but I can't.
"You hate nicknames! You don't even let your dad call you anything else than Chloe!"

My best friend. For a moment I forgot that this is my best friend I'm talking  with.

"Are you in love with him?"

The question. One question. This question. Enough to give me chills and make my heart tremble. Sabrina looked at me with curious puppy eyes and I simply didn't know how to answer. How to admit it out loud.

"Sabrina!" I yell her name, sounding like I am telling her to shut up, because I sort of am.
"What?" She answered so innocent, ignoring what I suggested her to do. "So you are!" She exclaimed and I thought I'd die. "OMG Chloe!"

She jumped into my arms and I sighted and hugged her back.

"So are you like...together?"
My eyes opened wide.
"No!" I yell.
"It didn't seem that way!" And she smirked.
"Sabrina!" Another try to make her shut up. "We had a moment... that's all!" I explain.
"Oh, so a moment!" She raised her eyebrows and wink.
"We're not together! He wouldn't be with me anyways!"
"Of course he would!"