1

You knocked on the door, which had a big sign with his name on it, 'Steve Raglan'.
You've already heard of him, he's apparently extra talented at giving people the jobs they really want.
You had high hopes for your meeting, you had a good resume, but somehow it never worked out because of your lack of conversational skills.

"Come in!" You heard his voice through the thin door.
You entered the room and as soon as he saw you, he gave you a sign to sit down on the chair in front of him.

You smiled at him.
He smiled back and started talking: "so why are you here today? You seem to have a very good resume, why would you need my support? I mean I can see that you have dropped out of college, but that must have it's reasons. Also a lot of jobs don't require a college degree?" He paused to look into your eyes.

"Yeah, well I'm not really good at keeping up with conversations and my social skills aren't that good." You answer, trying to escape the questioning look he gave you.

"Uh, yeah, but that's nothing too horrible, I mean thats not unusual. A lot of people struggle with that... but I guess I understand." He looked at your resume again, "so miss..."
"Miss Schmidt." You interrupted him.

He looked up at you with a shocked expression.
He leant a bit forward, you could tell he was trying to remember if he saw your face before.

He must know Mike... you thought to yourself.

"Yeah, uh, Miss Schmidt- Coffee?"
You could see he struggled finding any words.

"What?"

"Do you want a coffee?" He asked again.

"Uh- sure. Thank you."

Steve stood up and you only then noticed how tall that man was.

Wow he's at least 6 foot...

Raglan went to the coffee machine, which was right behind you.
He filled two cups, "do you want any sugar?" You nodded.

He went back to his desk and placed your cup in front of you, it was yellow, but not the kind that makes you feel happy and reminds you of the summer, it was the yellow that appears on stained walls and kitchen counters. The yellow that makes you uncomfortable.

"Miss Schmidt, I gotta be honest here with you. I'm sure you were already told that we don't have a lot of jobs right now and the ones we do have are definitely not the best. Are you sure you're interested? You have such a good resume, it would be a waste of talent!" Mr. Raglan told you, he spoke so fast that your brain was challenged with all that input.
You were taken aback for a second and looked to the ground.

You sighed,"you see Mr. Raglan, I just- I really need a job right now. As soon as possible too, I have to take care of my cousins- money is real tight right now and-"

"I understand," he interrupted, "I just wanted to make sure you'd understand, that you're most likely overqualified for any job we have right now."

"I don't care."

He nodded, he had an understanding expression on his face.

"Well I do have something up my sleeve you might like," he looked onto his files. "A security gig, it's not paid well and it does require a Night Shift, but then you couldn't care less about social skills." He looked back up to you.

You made eye contact. "I'm not so sure about that... I have to take care of my cousin in the evening. Do you have anything else?"

Steve looked back at his papers.
He searched through them.
After a few moments he shook his head. "I'm sorry Miss Schmidt, but it doesn't look good."
He put the paper back down, leant back into his chair and crossed his arms. "All we have left is a job as a Clown, which is only on weekends and pays even less, or something in the entertainment Branche, which, given your hard time talking, would be even worse for you."

You sighed and stood up, "I understand, thanks anyway, Mr Raglan. I'm sure I'll find something else."
You walked into the direction of the door as he stood up too and grabbed your arm.
He handed you something, "here, have my card. If you ever change your mind just call me."
You nodded.

Steve sat back down and continued searching through his papers.
You left the room and sighed in defeat.

Will you ever win?

—__—__—