Chapter 3- Love and Sacrifice!

Start from the beginning

"Aur kitne din, Roshni? Kal to wapas hi aana hai na? (The camp will be over in 24 hours, you will be back home soon)"

"Arre, maine aapko wahi batane call kiya tha, camp khatam ho gaya hai. (Oops, I called you to let you know that our Medical Camp is winding up) We are on our way back. Main aaj sham ko ghar pahunch jaoge. Aunty ka phone nahi lag raha....(I will be back by evening, I tried calling Aunty but her phone is unreachable)"

"Mumma hospital mein hai, Roshni, main bata dunga. Kitne baje ki train hai? (Mumma is the hospital, Roshni, I will inform her. When is your train?)"

"5 baje ki, 6 baje tak ghar aa jaoge. (It will arrive by 5, I will be home by 6)"

"Main pick up karne aaunga (I will pick you up), don't take an Uber...."

"Arre, uski zarurat nahi hai, bhaiyu (I will manage on my own, bhaiyu)"

"No arguments, Roshni. Thak gaye hoge tum. Aram karo. Rakhta hoon. (You must be tired, Take rest)" He did not let the girl argue and disconnected the call. For some reason, Roshni had become very important to him. He didn't know how to express it to her, so he let his actions speak. 

As he was making his way to his room, he heard raised voices and immediately rushed out to check what was happening. The commotion originated from Adarsh's room, and he hurried there. Adarsh shouldn't be under any stress. His heart pounded in his chest, wondering when life would cut them some slack.

As he entered the room, he saw the twins attempting to calm down an agitated Adarsh. The state of the room was chaotic, with overturned cupboards and files scattered everywhere. It looked like a whirlwind had torn through, leaving a disheveled mess. The bed was stripped of its blankets. The shelves emptied. The usually organized and tidy space now mirrored the turmoil evident in Adarsh's actions.

Adarsh was emptying another closet, searching frantically for something. Ayu gently pulled him back, pleading, ""

Adarsh was in the midst of emptying another closet, desperately searching for something. Ayu gently pulled him back, urging, "Bhaiya, please, humhare baat suniye. Yahi kahega aapke chain. Hum dhundh denge, aap baith jao please. (Bhaiya, please, listen to us. This won't bring you peace. We'll find it for you; just sit down, please.)"

"Aise kaise miss ho gaye, Ayu? Main kabhi nahi utarta use, (How could I loose it? I never take it off,)" he ran his hand through his unruly mop. "Agar nikale bhi ho to turant pehn bhi leta. (Even if I had taken it off, I would have worn it back immediately.) How can it go missing?"

"Kya nahi mil raha (What are you searching for)?" Abeer approached Adarsh. The slight tremor in Adarsh's voice affected him deeply, a clear indication that he was on the verge of a breakdown.

"Mere chain nahi mil rahe hai, yaar (I can't find my necklace, yaar)," Adarsh looked at him with eyes filled with agitation. "Har jagah dhoondh liya, kahi nahi ahi. ( I've searched everywhere, but it's nowhere.)"

"Aise kaise miss ho gaye? (How did you loose it?)" Abeer frowned. It was their grandfather's last memory—a gift given to them on their 5th birthday. The last present from a grandfather who knew he wouldn't survive his illness. He had commissioned the chains to be crafted, and what made them so special was that their grandfather had melted his own chain and bracelet to design them. He wanted them to have a part of him. With no other grandchildren at the time, he had showered them with love, and in return, they loved him equally. Though they hardly remembered the man, his love could never be forgotten.

"Theek se dhoondh, yahi kahin hoga. Kab dekha tune akhri baar use? (Search properly, is would be here somewhere. When did you last see it?)" Adarsh frowned. He could not remember. He tried again and felt a sharp pain shooting down his neck, a reminder that he should not be stressing himself out. "Acha theek hai, tu itna pareshan mat ho. Yahi kahin hoga. (Okay, fine, don't be so upset.) We will find it....."