4

As Fury's retired assistant (turned field agent), it was my responsibility to deliver a mission report to him. Though I was injured, I declined Rumlow's offer to provide the report and went myself.

I walked slowly, trying not to limp to the elevator. Nurses gave me looks, as if they thought I wasn't ready to be discharged yet. I gently pressed the button for the elevator and ran my hands up and down my legs, feeling the lightweight touch of my new leggings.

The second the elevator door opened I jumped inside and repeatedly pushed the button to close the door, escaping the judgmental eyes of the nurses. Watching the door close in front of me, I began to run my hands through my long brown hair, smoothing it down and tucking it behind my ears as it fell down my back.

"Your shoelace is untied," a familiar voice from behind me said.

"Oh, thank you," I bent down and began tying the lace of my worn out black Converse.

I got back up and turned around to see Steve right in front of me.

"Hi," he greeted me.

"Oh. Hi," I smiled at him.

"Where are you headed?"

"To see Fury. You?"

He put his hand on the back of his neck, avoiding my eyes, "I was actually going to see you."

"Really?" I asked, tucking my hair behind my ears again.

"I'm sorry, I just thought you could use some company but I hope I haven't overstepped my boundaries I just-"

I interrupted him, "No, no. That's thoughtful of you. Thanks."

I brought my eyes up to his and I felt a rush go through me. His slightly messy blonde hair and the little smile resting on his parted lips caught me off guard.

"Listen, Addy, I was wondering if you-"

Steve was interrupted when the elevator doors had opened. We both turned to see where we had stopped and Fury stood right in front of us.

"Agents," Fury greeted us, "Marrese, come with me." He began to walk away, expecting me to follow.

"I'm really, really sorry but I-" I began to apologize to Steve, knowing I wouldn't get to hear him finish what he had to say.

"It's okay, I'll see you later," he said, a trace of disappointment on his face.

I jogged over to Fury, who walked at a brisk pace into the parking garage. He had an S.U.V. waiting for us. I opened the door and sat in the passenger's seat. Fury got into the driver's seat and started to drive. The car was silent for a while, it was not until the Triskelion was far behind us when he began to speak.

"Project Insight, you know about it?" He asked.

"Isn't it why the new helicarriers are being built?" I questioned.

He nodded, "As you probably know now, Agent Romanoff was given a separate mission. She was instructed to extract data of Project Insight from the Lemurian Star."

"I'm sorry but how do I fit into this?" I slightly squinted my eyes, trying to figure out what his point was.

"A rendezvous between the two of us and Agent Hill is impending in a few hours. We need to talk about Project Insight."

"But, why me?"

"You're a witness to the mission."

Though his reason was vague, I didn't argue. I exhaled, feeling the breeze coming from the open window on my side. I played with a loose thread on my leggings, tempted to try and rip it off.