IV.

Steve wasn't exactly silent as he crept in through the window. I heard him pick up his shield as he treaded quietly along the wall, suspicious and alert. I took this as an opportunity to scare him, quietly snapping my fingers and turning invisible. I stood in the center of the living room, watching him creep along the wall.

Suddenly, I snapped my fingers again, appearing in his living room, "Boo," I smiled.

His body visibly relaxed as he leaned against the wall, "I don't remember giving you a key."

Fury grunted as he pushed himself up from the recliner, "You really think I'd need one?"

Steve didn't say anything, he was clearly confused. Fury continued, "Just got done going through a load of files, my wife's pretty pissed at me for taking the late shift today," he nudged his head in my direction, "found this one doing some training in the gym, she wanted to keep you company."

Steve scoffed in disbelief, "I didn't know you had a wi-"

Steve stopped talking as Fury showed him a message he had typed into his device. Steve turned to me, his eyes looking for reassurance. Assuming Fury had just informed Steve that our conversation was not private, I nodded my head.

Steve silently looked around, scanning every corner of the room for signs. Fury kept stood up from his chair, walking towards Steve, "I'm sorry to have to do this, but I had no place else to crash," as he spoke, he typed something else on his phone, showing it to Steve.

Steve thought about his next words carefully, he looked at me, "Did you have any other plans for tonight, Marrese?"

"No, just the gym," I shook my head, signaling that we had come to him with no plan.

"So it's just us three for tonight?" Steve asked cautiously, asking something completely different from what he had said.

"Just us three," Fury repeated, telling him that we were the only three people who knew S.H.I.E.L.D. was compromised.

Then, a gunshot sounded and Fury collapsed to the floor with a groan. I ducked and threw a wall in front of myself, shielding myself from the fire. Steve ducks and crawled next to me, behind my shield, I expanded the wall. Once the gunfire ceased, I crawled over to Fury, who was bleeding profusely from his wounds. I took his hand in both of mine, kneeling beside him.

With the little energy he had left, he opened his hand, revealing a hard drive, he choked out, "Don't trust anyone," before his chest fell still.

I dug my fingers into his neck, feeling for a pulse as I listened closely for any breathing. Getting no response, I stood up and faced Steve who was standing. He was looking out the window, I whipped my head around and saw a glimpse of a person, the shooter.

I looked down, not wanting to meet his eyes, "Go, please, find the person who did this," I sniffled.

Steve picked up his shield and jumped out the window and landed into another, sprinting after the fleeing attacker.

A woman barged into the room, holding a gun as she searched the room through the scope, "Captain Rogers?" She called out as she walked cautiously. She immediately lowered her gun after recognizing me and Fury.

The woman swiftly knelt down next to Fury, I informed her, "I checked for a pulse, negative."

"Breathing?" She said, her eyes trained on his chest.

"No."

She stood back up, grabbing a walkie-talkie, "Foxtrot is down, he's unresponsive. I need EMTs," She spoke in a panicked voice.

From her walkie-talkie came the dispatcher's voice, "Do we have a twenty on the shooter?"

"Captain's in pursuit," I said.