October- November 2022 • Nola *

Harry left Paris after the twenty hours he warned me had as a limit, but he promised to find some time to sneak back to see me before we came to California. Especially because he wanted to see Helen and Albert and his mum and Gemma to celebrate our news in-person. Until then, we have had to rely on texts, phone calls and FaceTime to get us through. It's been strange to just go on with life as though nothing has changed, when in fact nothing will ever be the same.

He started his five day run of shows in Austin a few days ago, after he became my fiancé

He started his five day run of shows in Austin a few days ago, after he became my fiancé. Seeing posts from those shows dot my Instagram feed was a completely different experience. Resting in the knowledge that I get to spend the rest of my life with the man they were all going crazy over, I could look at them with zero jealousy and at him with nothing but admiration.

On the night of the last show in Austin, he calls from the arena, as he does every show. The phone rings as I am getting to the girls school to drop them off for the day.

----- Call from Harry -----

"Hey darling," he says.

"Good morning. I'm about to walk the girls into school. Can I call you back in five minutes?"

"Of course."

----- End of call (for now) -----

Mia says, well within earshot of a dozen nosy French mums and a few of our friends, "was that Harry?"

I lean down to whisper to her that it was, but that we have to not talk about it at school. She loves to keep a secret, so I'm not so worried about her, but Lottie likes to follow the rules and if someone directly asks her, she will probably spill everything she knows. Thank god she doesn't yet know everything.

"You ladies have a fantastic day at school," I say as I drop the twins off in their room. Then, I walk Hattie further down the hallway and get her settled in. All the while, Conny is waving at every person who will give him the time of day from his seat in the stroller. I know that he wishes it was his turn to go to school, but instead he gets to spend the day with me.

We get outside and I say goodbye to a few moms before calling Harry back. As my finger hovers over his contact, I decide to walk a few blocks away, just to be sure that I'm no sidetracked by anyone from school in the middle of our call.

----- Call to Harry -----

"Sorry about that, H."

"No problem. I should have looked at what time it was in Paris," he says and I can hear muffled conversations before he comes back to ours. "Did you get them all settled in at school."

"Everyone but Conrad. We're going to the grocery store as soon as we get off the phone with you." Conrad loves the grocery store like I do, so he thinks it's just as fun as going to the park.