Chapter 8 - VAGUE MEMORIES

Enzo's POV

Sunday morning, 16th January 2022.

Sunday morning awaken vague and confusing. I looked at the phone screen, it showed 11.30. My head ached and my stomach was a mess. I struggled to get to the bathroom. I drank an insane amount of water from the tap. I was completely dehydrated. My elbow hurt... I looked and I had a scratch. I got a flashback and I saw myself on the floor of the disco. Why had I drunk so much? I put my head under the tap. I tried to remember the night from the beginning...

I crawled to the living room and I flop down on the sofa. Michele was nowhere to be seen. I stretched out my arm to grab a pillow and I sank my face into it.

Elena... what had happened with her? I reminded very well her performance at the karaoke. I took pleasure in my memories and smiled remembering her dancing and singing. What a woman! When I had invited her, I didn't imagine that she was going to be so fascinating. I was so driven to her that I decided to stay away from her for the night. I didn't trust myself around her.

My memories after the karaoke were vaguer... I remembered arriving to the club. Max and Daniel were there, with Kelly and her friends. I thought I had been dancing in the VIP with Kelly's friends and I could remember some tequila shots. There was also a big guy, who had hit me. That's how I may have gotten my scratched elbow. I reminded Elena and Michele holding me up. And a bottle of water...

Oh, shit... Elena... on the sofa. I touched my lips. I kissed her. I could remember that with accuracy. Her soft lips over mine, her smell, how sweet she tasted. It had been a wonderful kiss. Shame on me!

At that very moment, Michele arrived home. He found me in a pathetic situation, rolled up in a blanket on the sofa, with the hoodie up and looking to the infinity. He threw the food bags on the counter of the kitchen and he looked at me with his arms crossed.

- What's up, champ? Hangover? – He asked me taking please on my devastation.

- I hope you brought some food, with a lot of cheese and a lot of calories.

- It's Chinese.

- I'm in. – I got up clumsily and I sat on a stool in the kitchen. I started opening the food containers while Michele took the plates out of the cabinets. I shoved a big mouthful of noodles into my mouth.

- Leave something for me. – He said putting a plate in front of me. – How are you? Does your elbow hurt? – He asked me while starting to divide the food in the plates.

- I'm good. It's just a scratch. I've been trying to recap the night... - I told him raising my brows.

- Well... typical night with Enzo. You smashed it at the karaoke, you drank too many tequila shots which you will be sweating tomorrow, you danced like an idiot, you tried to flirt with the girlfriend of a sumo wrestler and you kissed a girl who isn't your girlfriend. – He shrugged.

- Are you mad? – I knew him, and he didn't like me to lose control. He was my best friend, besides my personal trainer and it was his job to keep me fit and healthy, both physically and mentally. That's why he worried so much. We've been working together for 10 years and before that we were friends since we met at the juvenile categories. He was my biggest support. And he was one of the two humans I allowed to talk to me frankly and harshly. The other one was Clark, my agent. He was one of my older friends from LA. I hired him after he ended his public relations degree. Both of them were my core team.

- I'm not mad. I'm just exposing the facts. You're all grown up.

- I know. I don't know what happened. I tried to stay away from her all night. I don't understand what she does to me.

- You lost it, man. I guess I can understand you. She's amazing. But you should have thought about Kayla.

- How could I stop thinking about Kayla? She keeps on sending texts every minute... - I said all worn out.

- You should talk to her, Enzo.

- And tell her what? That I don't want her to text me all day long? That I'm fed up of our relationship?

- That exactly... You should before going around kissing other girls. Not good for you and even worse if the press finds out. I've talked to Clark and it seems that nobody had seen you. Lucky you!

- Oh, shit... I didn't even think about the press. – I hid my face on my arms. The head was hurting even more now.

- Well, don't worry about it. Everything went well in the end. It was just an innocent kiss. But you should think about what to do with Kayla.

- I will... It's just that, Elena has something special.

- Does she? – asked Michele arching his brow.

- She's so natural, so funny, so careless. She laughs all the time, she is confident and at the same time, she seems to be so fragile. I feel the urge to protect her.

- Shit, Enny. It looks like you have a crush on this girl.

- Well... It doesn't matter anymore. I don't think I'll ever see her again.

I sighed. I knew it was for the best not to see her again and just let things die after last night. The new season was about to start and with the car Red Bull developed, I should deliver results. My teammate Max was a beast, and so should I. After all my years in Formula 1, fighting for the number one driver position in Williams, Toro Rosso, Renault and now, I was lucky that Red Bull wanted me for their team. This was my second year here and the goal was to fight Max for the championship. I've had some podiums and wins but this year was my opportunity to finally do something great. I felt I had still much to do and I was determined to make the most of this season. I wanted to be World Champion.

So, drama was out of my plans. I didn't need that. I needed to focus. And yet, I couldn't stop thinking about her. And wondering if I could kiss her once again.