10

sᴇʜᴠᴇɴ ᴠᴀʀɢᴀs

𝞂𝛈𝒆 𝞈𝒆𝒆𝗞 𝗹𝝰𝙩𝒆𝗿:

Elevator sounds chimed just in time for me to look up at the double sliding doors. Stepping off, I was met with the most child-like songs. Luckily no one besides myself was on the twenty-ninth floor, or I'd be embarrassed. Ms. Rachel played mildly through the freshly cleaned glass wall in my office. Swiping the badge across the security locks, the green light appeared, and automatically the music died down a few notches.

"Not y'all jamming to Ms. Rachel, chy." I mused jokingly while closing the door behind myself. In my hands was a few forms, including this past due bill with Vargas scribbled across the front.

"Girl, I was clicking through and Zuri just picked her out," Erin answered, making the two of us laugh. I sat down the papers, but not the lone pink envelope. I was ripping through it when E walked up to me. "Um...quick question. Don't be mad, okay? But...does Zy got...like, spidey senses or some?"

Erin's question caused a silent reaction. One that took no time for her to catch onto. Damn. I knew the day would come when Zuri's hypersensitive manners made an appearance in front of my baby sister. It wasn't necessarily a secret. Just wasn't the easiest to explain either so I strayed from the subject.

"According to science? No, because spidey senses are in regards to danger and I'm not a threat,"

Oh. In my hand was Migi's bill — which was hilarious because a payment plan is usually discussed with Lillian before the patient's first appointment. Undoubtedly, Mrs. Ava Crown didn't inform Migi that this form of treatment would require payment plans if not paid in full. For a year's worth of treatments — he's left with a balance of almost six thousand dollars which was heading for collections if left unpaid.

"Am I?"

Erin smacked her teeth at my remaining opposition. She waved it off without much regard and I tossed the letter into my maxi Caviar Quilted Chanel bag. I'll be sure to give it to him, but with a few codes in the system — I could get the debt erased. Knowing Ava Crown, all she needs is this minor bill of a few thousand to hound Migi. "Come here, Zy."

Happily, the one-year-old dismissed her entertainment. A silly grin as she made her way to me at the desk. "Ms. Rachel, Mommy." Her little arms rose as a silent request to be lifted and I wasted no time. Weirdly, being away for only five minutes makes me miss everything about her.

"I see. It's been a minute since you watched her," Zuri seemed to agree with a playful head nod. "It may just be a coincidence, you know?" I suggested afterward, even though, Erin didn't seem to believe my question. E didn't force the topic though. And I thanked the Heavens. Zuri's fingers clasped around my face before she pulled me closer, interrupting the moment with her aunt.

The two of us rounded my desk, where I took my seat with Zy on my lap. She went back to Ms. Rachel's videos and I began my signing-off process for the day.

"You talked to Izzy?" Erin inquired, her question almost surprising me.

"Not today, but we texted last week. I promised her we would go somewhere and have some drinks. Or do something together. It's been months."

Lately? My friendship with Isabella was in a lagging loop. Migi made it clear he didn't trust my best friend and after Loc's death, I found out Izzy didn't care for Migi the way she put out.

Their separate ties from one another put me in a compromising position where I neglected my friendship for my husband and my own family. She's never mentioned the obvious disconnection and I never mentioned the text messages between her and Loc because it would put both of us in hurtful positions.