Cal side steps slightly and parries the strike, sending down it toward her forward foot and throwing her balance off just enough to give him an opening he needs. He spins toward his back foot and sends the other end of his lightsaber out behind him directly toward her ribs but stops its advance mere inches before it hits her.

They both stand there frozen for a moment, eyes locked, till Ilyana nods, conceding the defeat.

"Not bad," says Cal as they both step back from each other and deactivate their weapons, "Again?"

"Again," Ilyana agrees enthusiastically. Despite years of training she has never before fought a Jedi; to finally have the chance is exhilarating.

Ilyana lost count of how many times they fought but each one ended the same; she lost. Eventually, finally, she has enough.

"Dammit!" she yells, tossing down her staff and seething with fury.

"It's okay," says Cal, "You just need..."

"It's not, Jedi!" she yells, completely losing her temper, "Dammit, Lanue!"

"Okay. Who is Lanue?" Cal asks.

"My instructor," she answers, frustratingly running her fingers through her hair and begins to pace as she continues. "The man who trained the Purge Troopers. He defected and we were sent to track him down. When I found him he told me that they lied to us, that the Inquisitors were afraid of us. They were afraid we might become strong enough to be a threat to them so they held us back; limited our training. We were lied to. We were set up to fail, again! From the first time they dropped me onto the battlefield with that junk armor and a faulty weapon, I was supposed to fail. I was only ever meant to die!"

Cal had watched as she paced back and forth talking furiously, then she dropped down to the ground at the edge of the outcropping and stared out over the rocky ravine. He puts his lightsaber away and joins her. They sit silently for a moment watching the sun sink towards the horizon and catch their breath.

"I knew it was true," she finally admits, "but I didn't want to believe it. Honestly, I don't know why it bothers me so much. I never wanted to be a part of the Empire."

"I think it's important for people to feel wanted," Cal offers.

"Yeah, I guess so."

"Well, if it's any comfort," he adds, "I can promise you, you're definitely wanted by the Empire now."

Ilyana rolls her eyes at him and laughs, "Oh, that was terrible but thank you."

"What happened to him, your teacher?"

Ilyana shakes her head, "He died."

"Do all your stories end that way?"

"Probably," she answers, then nudges him in the arm with her elbow, "but I hope this one ends a little differently."

"Me too."

They sit quietly at the edge of the outcrop till the sun blinks out over the horizon and the sky changes from a mixture of yellows and golds to dark purples and blues.

"He wanted me to go with him," she says, seemingly out of nowhere. "Lanue. He wanted me to leave with him and join the rebels."

"You refused?"

"No, I didn't get the chance to answer," she says mournfully, "I think I might have said yes though."

Something about her tone made him ask, "Did you love him?"