Ilyana

Merrin, Greez and PT-152 wind their way through the other ships docked at the spaceport and towards the main road into town. Not including the spaceport, the town itself is small with a central market making up the majority of the sprawl. The market itself is only a short walk down the sand blown main road, almost the only road, which is lined with shops that provide services for pilots and transports such as mechanics, repair services and parts.

"We'll need to stop into a few of these shops for parts but it will be a lot to carry so we'll do that on the way back," says Greez, more to himself than the others. "I wonder if any of them would deliver to the Mantis."

"What did you say your...number is? Did you call it a designation?" Merrin asks.

"Yes, my designation is PT-152."

"What does that mean?"

"It means I am the 152nd person assigned to the Purge Trooper Division."

"Does that mean there are at least 152 Purge Troopers?" asks Greez.

"Not necessarily," PT-152 says, "that means that at least 152 were assigned. The first Purge Troopers were clones but I believe the last of them were killed on Mon Cala. Since then, very few applicants actually complete the training and become Purge Troopers. Once assigned, the work is high risk and life expectancy is low. Most of the other applicants I trained with have already been killed."

"That's good news anyway," says Greez.

"As I understand it Cal has defeated more than a few himself," PT-152 continues, choosing to not take Greez' comment personally.

"Yes, he has," Merrin confirms.

"So what you're saying is a Purge Trooper doesn't get retirement benefits," Greez says with a chuckle, amused by his own joke.

"No, we do not," PT-152 agrees.

"It's hard losing friends though," Greez says, thoughtfully.

"Friends?" PT-152 asks him.

"Yeah, the others you trained with," he clarifies.

"They weren't my friends. Training is highly competitive and teamwork isn't exactly encouraged."

"Well, I don't like it," says Merrin.

"You don't like what?" asks PT-152, feeling as though she is being pulled between two separate conversations.

Merrin stops walking and the other two shuffle to a halt as well. "Your 'designation'." Merrin continues. "I do not like it. People should have names not numbers."

"Well, I don't remember mine so..." PT-152 trails off with a shrug.

"When I was young, before my people were killed, there was another Nightsister who was very important to me. Her name was Ilyana. If you like, I will give you this name."

"Really?" asks PT-152.

"Yes, it is a gift; one you do not have to accept or keep if it is not right for you, but everyone should have a name and I believe you deserve this one."

"Why?" she asks.

"Your dedication. You sacrificed much of yourself to reach Cal... and us. Ilyana was dedicated too," Merrin explains, "When she decided to do something, she would do whatever it took to achieve it."

"Ilyana," PT-152 says slowly, feeling the name. "Yes, I like that," she smiles and they continue walking.

"Good," says Greez, "I was never going to remember that number."