Chapter 2: A Friend?

Encre's POV hours later

After eating with Jasper, he pulls me away to his large playroom and has me sit beside him. He passes me a canvas and some brushes. I glance at him in surprise. He puts various paints between us.

"Let's have some fun!"He says

He....Is giving me paint? Doing art together...? I haven't touched paint since...

I glance at him and smile, starting to paint.

"You don't really talk, do you?"He asks

I shake my head.

He wouldn't understand me if I tried. Wait...Does he want me to talk? I have to listen to him and the rest now, right? Since I was given to them?

I turn to him curiously, tilting my head.

"What is it?"He asks

I start signing with my hands.

"D-O Y-O-U W-A-N-T M-E T-O T-A-L-K?"I ask

He nods.

He knows sign language. Smart boy...

"Bonjour, Jasper. J'aime votre art jusqu'à présent."I say

(Hello, Jasper. I like your art so far.)

"Wooaah! No clue what you said but I like your voice!"He says

I smile, nod, and return to painting. I try to start with something simple, like the boy sitting beside me. I finish after a few minutes and smile.

"Woah! That looks amazing!"He says

I smile a bit at him. I hide my smile when I hear the door open. I glance over and see Lord Fallacy there. The brazier pillars with fires burning flare up with a loud woooooosh! The size of the fierce flames scares me, making me jolt.

"Father! He is such a skilled artist! We were just painting together!"Jasper says

"Right...Well, Suave will be taking him from here."He says, stepping aside so Suave can enter.

He crosses his arms, looking disinterested in what he was just told. I get up as Suave takes me by the hand, leading me away. Suave smiles at me and it feels more reassuring than anything I've seen today.

"Here is your new room. You'll be staying here until M'Lords learn what to do with you. You're going to be joining me in the garden tomorrow and I'll get you some better clothes once you're settled here."He says, pushing a door open

I glance in, seeing a tidy room with a desk, a few bookshelves, a closet, and a bed. All the usual things in a bedroom. It's so nice though...This can't be real...I haven't been in a bed in years...I glance at Suave to see him smiling back at me.

"Merci.."I say

(Thank you..)

He looks surprised for a moment, then smiles.

"Je vous en prie."He says

(You are welcome.)

He can understand me?

He definitely sees the surprise on my face and smiles wider.

"I've studied a few languages so I'm glad it came to good use."He says

I smile, thinking that I could find a friendship with him...I can certainly trust him. He leaves to find me clothes and I sit on the bed, admiring the space. I notice the large candles with blazing flames and frown. I pinch the flames carefully, putting the candles out.