⭐️Young Adult|| @Dear_Sonatine⭐️

Meet Sonatine (@Dear_Sonatine). On Wattpad she dons the hat of an experienced judge and awards winner who enjoys writing angsty, poetic, and triumphant coming-of-age stories with a diverse cast of characters. Off Wattpad, she embraces the soul of an artist, musician, and dreamer who ponders her musings through long walks or while whipping up a tasty meal for her large clan of family and friends.

Her novel 'See You When I See You' won the grand winner prize in The 2023 NanoWatt Awards, in the Young Adult Category and follows seventeen year old Josie Chen as she navigates the delicate matters of life and love.

Seventeen year old Josie Chen has never been the main character of her own story. After her mother's sudden and unexplained departure, Josie takes it upon herself to care for her dad and younger sister. Altruism seems to come naturally to Josie, who stoically defers her own dreams to ensure that everyone around her is happy. Her best friend Lyla attempts to nudge her towards spontaneity and love, but Josie resists any possibility of romance, much to the distress of her longtime admirer, Marco.

When Lyla's boyfriend Aiden comes home from summer college harboring a terrible secret, Josie is forced to make a decision that tests her relationships and resolve. Eventually, Josie realizes that growing up requires the kind of bravery that takes up space. Will she stand forever on the sidelines of life, or will she find the courage to pursue the dreams and kind of love that she wants?

Book 1 of the "See You" series, "See You When I See You" is a soaring, coming-of-age tale of first loves and the enduring power of female friendship. A wistful and triumphant ode to growing up, this novel is a reminder that, in matters of love, you'll get your heart broken at least once (in a good way).

'•'•'•

How does it feel to be a grand winner of the 2023 Nano Watt Awards? Were you confident that you would make it this far in the competition?

I entered the competition without any expectations to win, but with confidence that I at least had a good story to tell. There were so many great entries and several of my gifted companions were shortlisted, so being a Nano Watt Grand Winner is both an honor and a delight!

In your own words what is your winning entry about?

"See You When I See You" is a story about the enduring power of female friendship as it bears witness to first loves, heartbreaks, and the best (and worst) moments of adolescence. It's a powerful hit of nostalgia in poetry and a lyrical homage to the early 2000's.

Could you share with us the inspiration behind your story?

A friend of mine was cheated on by her boyfriend in high school when he went away for summer college. She gave him a second chance, though I was staunchly against it. I've often wondered what our friendship would have been like if I had taken her side against my own convictions at the time. We drifted apart over the years, and there was grief in that for me. The experience compelled me to reflect on female friendships and how they change over time as we ourselves evolve. I was listening to a lot of music from the late 90s and early 2000s at the time, and Josie and Lyla's stories grew from that playlist.

And, in short, what was the process like in taking this book from novel idea to finished product? Were there any challenges or pleasant surprises along the way?

Writing this novel was tremendously fun! This is my second full-length novel, and I felt much freer in my creativity and more daring in my choices as an author than I did while writing my first book. It was challenging to write a realistic yet justifiably detestable antagonist. I did not expect how much readers would hate Aiden, and how controversial his character arc would be!

Having completed a full novel what encouragement would you give to writers struggling with self doubt and creative blocks?

Writing can be so very daunting in that its very nature demands that you bare your soul. Remember that writing is a process; you can't force your soul to be bared beyond what it is willing to reveal. Therefore, trust the process even when you don't believe yourself. Creative constipation happens to everyone. Instead of white-knuckling your way through the block, move with it and get out of your head. Go on a walk, do a vinyasa, eat something that's not coffee, jump into a lake, finger paint, throw a dance party, go live your life. I promise it will help.

In terms of its genre, How would you say your book defy or compliment the expectations/tropes?

Most teen fiction romance books feature a happy-ever-after, which SYWISY does fulfill -- but my book underscores the themes of female friendship and growth more than it does the romance.

If there was one character that potential readers had to read your book just to meet, who would it be and why?

Michelle. She is the spunky, unexpected reader favorite. And she gets promoted from secondary character to unlikely heroine in Book 2.

In terms of your writing style and storytelling what authors and/or creative media have influenced you throughout the years?

I find inspiration everywhere I go! I'm a multimodal creative, so I approach storytelling like a musician, and I deliver prose like a painter. I listen to a lot of music from every genre, and I keep a diverse collection of authors at my disposal -- many of Josie's favorites are my own, as well as the music mentioned throughout the book itself.

If you could have a crossover between your book and one of the books of a favourite published/ Wattpad author, who would it be and why?

I'd love to see Lyla and the Marbleton kids party along with Amy and Caleb in Near Touch by fellow grand winner Gauravaaditya , as I think that party would have been spectacularly legendary. I can also see Josie being friends with Hetty in Hetty & Ryan by UnbalancedMom333 since both girls are such studious wallflowers.

What other works or stories in the works can readers look forward to from you?

"See You When I See You" is part of a trilogy. I'm currently writing "See You In The Morning," the second act of this series which features Michelle as the plucky protagonist. I have also been drafting an outline for the third and last book in the series, which will take place a few years from the present!

Now that the award season has ended, what can you say on your Nano Watt 2023 experience? Can we expect to see you in 2024? 😄

This has been an incredibly well-run contest with great communication, caring and respectful judges, and fantastic peers. I may return next year, but with a different book (hopefully). By then, I expect to see many more incredible and courageous writers participating in the fun!

And before you go we must know....ketchup on your fries or ketchup to the side?🍅🍟

I like my fries with a big squeeze of fresh lemon juice!

'•'•'•

Thanks again Sonatine for chatting with us and congrats on your win!

You may find her winning entry See You When I See You in our TNW GRANDWINNERS 2023 reading list or visit her profile at Dear_Sonatine .