chapter fifteen

"dork"

The following days seemed to be a nauseating blur for the pack as another week passed with no vampires killed and the four wolves stuck as lycanthropes against their will

The following days seemed to be a nauseating blur for the pack as another week passed with no vampires killed and the four wolves stuck as lycanthropes against their will. They were still forced to pretend as though everything was normal, as though they weren't spending dusk til dawn racing through the forest at unimaginable speeds in an attempt to bring down the very bane of their existence. The rules implemented upon them by Sam had been deemed unacceptable and almost tyrannical but, his alpha voice prevailed and the rules were as follows: no speaking unless spoken to, avoid people as much as possible, especially your friends, and focus all your attention on trying to remain human. He didn't care if they failed their classes so long as they showed their faces and didn't rip their classmates to shreds but the one rule that actually tore them to pieces was no sports.

Tallulah and Paul fought the hardest, as was expected being they were the most social of the pack and were forced to give up their normal lives. Tallulah was a well seasoned surfer, with trophies lining their living room wall, and even considered pursuing it as a career post graduation but, her brother didn't like the idea of her shifting into a wolf mid swell so, she'd be forbidden from entering another competition, at least not until her anger was under control. Paul had the hardest time controlling his anger and therefore, had been forced to stay home longer than anyone else, away from school and practice, his friends. The distance put between him and what he wanted most made him all the more irritable and there wasn't an hour that went by most days without him shifting, at least for the first few days.

The only ones not affected by Sam's rules seemed to be Tama and Jared, seeing as they were never social to begin with and had more control over their emotions, they were deemed safe and therefore, more trustworthy by Sam. Jared had no friends he needed to abandon, nor any sports he had to cease playing. The only person he had any interest in was Kim and because she was his imprint, Sam couldn't order him away from her so, he was content with the rules. Because anger wasn't the trigger for her shifting, Tama was allowed to continue track & field, much to the dismay of Paul and Tallulah who shouted hypocrisy as she seemed to be the only one truly unaffected by Sam's rules.

She still conversed with her friends, went to practice and to and from her new job at the gallery alongside Mason and his father, since she'd had no choice but to quit her job working with her mother. Tama hadn't seen Mitena in days, only sneaking back home to pack a few bags before trudging them over to Charlie's house for refuge, which he so happily awarded her in his daughter's soon-to-be room. He assured her that she could stay with him as long as she needed and offered her any and everything that could make her more comfortable but, Tama knew her time at the Swan house was limited as Bella would be arriving mid-December, which didn't give her a lot of time to patch things up with her mother who she avoided like the plague so, she was close to being homeless as she couldn't exactly go to the Clearwaters knowing the secrets she'd been keeping from Leah.