thirty-five; i need you

Start from the beginning

Everett steps forward. "But is she going to be okay?"

The doctor sighs. "We're unsure right this moment but she's our priority, so please just have a little faith. We'll be back in a few moments so we can discuss this further."

Reign is then wheeled away and Everett's eyes fall limp to the floor, his entire body shaking in pain and anger. "She's a fighter," I reassure him. "She always has been."

His jaw tenses and he shakes his head. "I should have been there with her, I should have never suggested that we split up. If I didn't, she wouldn't be in there right now. I fear what would have happened if I didn't ask you to check up on her."

I press my hand to my brother's back. "But she's in good hands now, let's not dwell on what could have been. You've always told me that." I say, my throat becoming sore and tight. "She's a fighter. I promise she's going to be okay."

"I'm going to wait until she gets out of her surgery," he comments.

My head bows gently. "Okay, I'm going to see if there is anything else I can do with the pack. I haven't seen Jesse or Fran, have you?"

"No." He says quietly.

"I'll be back later," I reassure him.

When he doesn't respond, I exit the infirmary to find the pack loitering everywhere. Checking up on friends and family, making sure that their loved ones are okay. But as soon as I step out into the hall, my heart crumbles in my chest.

If Reign doesn't make it. Oh God. If Reign doesn't make it... I don't even want to think of that possibility. The pain and agony it will cause. She's practically my sister, my platonic soulmate in so many ways.

A tear rolls down my cheek. I had to stay strong for Everett. That's his mate. He might lose half of his soul, the one that makes him so much stronger and in-tune with the pack and his wolf. Half of him that makes him a better man everyday.

"Milo?" I hear my sister's voice as she appears directly in front of me.

That's when I break down. I'm exhausted. Physically and mentally exhausted.

I know everyone is going to be in the same boat but I never expected to feel like this. Every inch of my aches and my head throbs. Reign. Reign. Please be okay.

Fran bundles me into her arms. "What's happened, Milo?"

My hands latch onto her back and I clutch her tighter, sobbing into her shoulder. "Reign," I barely get out. "She's unconscious, gone into surgery. We don't know if she's going to be okay."

She pulls back suddenly and grips my shoulders. "Shit, fuck." I hear her say, her own eyes beginning to glitter. "Where is Everett now?"

"Waiting for her surgery to be over," my voice wobbles. "I wanted to be with him but I couldn't hold this in any longer and I didn't want him to see me like this. I'm so damn selfish."

Everything hits me like a tonne of bricks and I hate it. Why do I all of a sudden feel so guilty for my reaction? My brother might lose his mate and I walk away... I'm about to throw up.

"You're not selfish," she shakes her head. "You love her, you both love her. But you don't have to be strong for Everett, not when you're connected to her too. Go back in there and let it out if you have to, he'd never be angry at you for that."

I sniffle and wipe my eyes. I need my bed. I need Reign to be okay.

I need Nate.

Fran takes my hand and guides me back into the infirmary. "We'll go together."