𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒇𝒐𝒖𝒓

Start from the beginning

"How did you come to that conclusion?"

"It was Rin."

"The muggle who saved you?"

"Yes- No, apparently he's a wizard. In Ravenclaw it seems." Elena hesitated before speaking, "I guess I owe you an apology."

"I don't accept apologies," Tom said coldly, "but I will consider favours."

"Favours?" Elena was confused.

"I realised you've been working on a way to counter Orion's potion. Why don't we do it together? It would get us both closer to Slughorn."

"Is that really what you want?"

"Yes. Maybe if you get to liking me, you'll tell me how you lifted the trace."

"Why not ask for that as a favour then?"

"Now, where's the fun in that?" They were now climbing the stairs to the Divination classroom. Tom looked down at her and spoke lightly, "Meet me in the Forbidden Forest tonight. I want to show you something." Elena didn't answer, she knew better than following Tom Riddle into dark places. "Scared, Mortem?"

"Never."

They made it to the Divination classroom in silence. Elena looked around for Abraxas, but he was sitting with Nott. She raised an eyebrow at him and he shrugged pointing to the empty chair across Tom. Elena rolled her eyes and sat down. The Professor came in with a stack of books, handing them out to everyone.

"These manuscripts were found in the library's restricted section. I want you to explain them," she said as she put a French book in from of Elena and Tom. "It doesn't matter if you do not speak the language, I want you to examine the pages and sense the information."

"Professor, what's the point of this?" Charlus asked from across the room.

"My sweet boy, these are ancient prophecies. You're supposed to understand them no matter the language."

"This is pointless." Elena heard Tom say under his breath.

"It'll be quite easy," Elena said opening the book. "I know French."

"She said we need to sense the meaning, not translate it word for word."

Elena sighed and put the book in front of him. "You sense it. I will read."

"You're unbearable," Tom said.

The whole lesson went by with Elena writing down the translation under the frustrated gaze of Tom. He would occasionally divert his attention to the prophecy and knit his brows. He had only written one line onto his parchment before the professor told them to stop.

"Who wants to show me their work?" Nobody answered. She looked around the room, "Mortem, Riddle?" Elena handed her the translation and with a smug grin sat back down. The professor read it, "At the thirty fifth break of dawn, the clouds will rain down, the gold will break their chains and the moon will ease your pains." She gave the parchment back to Elena. "I see you've done a great job copying the prophecy. Have you given any thought to what it means?"

"Well..." Elena didn't know. Divination had never made sense to her.

"You will never be free," said Tom.

The professor's eyes lit up with delight. "Yes, my boy! This prophecy was written by a wizard who studied the Mirror Realm. Of course, you wouldn't need to know that in order to sense the meaning. Every line written down emits energy, light or dark. You have to be able to read the intention of the author."

Tom turned to Elena and shrugged. She scoffed. "I don't get it."

"Of course you don't. You're not a very good witch. When something isn't written down on paper you can't understand it."