NINETEEN

MIRACLE
____________

I AM IMMEDIATELY MORTIFIED WHEN I WAKE THE NEXT day to Jack's arm resting heavily over my stomach, I'm on my back, one of my arms over my head while the other is behind Jack's neck, my fingers laced in his hair. He's got his face burrowed in the crook of my neck, gentle snores falling from his lips.

I crane my neck to look at him, only to realise that our bodies are so close that if I turn any further, my lips will press against his forehead.

The house is brightly lit with morning light, the fort we'd fallen asleep in still in tact. Trevor is no longer on the couch where he once was, but I can hear his voice, and worse, I can hear my mother's voice.

I peel myself out of Jack's grip, being careful not to wake him as I pad quietly towards the kitchen, where the voices are coming from. I pause when I hear my name, listening.

"Miracle isn't a child anymore, Trevor," Mom sighs, and I can always imagine her rubbing her temples. "I understood back then why you didn't like the idea of Jack liking her, but what's wrong now?"

"I'm afraid he'll hurt her," Trevor mumbled, biting down on his toast. "I don't want to have to pick up the pieces and then lose my best mate."

"I genuinely believe he won't hurt her," Mom defended. "Have you seen the way he looks at her?"

"Unfortunately," Trevor grumbles, and I smirk to myself at his admission.

"I think Jack loves her," Mom adds, and I scrunch my nose. "I think he's loved her since they were kids."

"There was a time they couldn't stand each other," Trevor tries to argue, and I imagine my mother glared at him.

"You don't seriously believe that he disliked her?" Mom chuckled. "Trevor, he was playing along for you. Jack's been secretly obsessing over your sister for as long as I can remember."

"I just don't get why now," he groaned. "Why are they so hell bent on doing all of this now?"

"They're adults," my mother shrugs. "Probably missed each other a lot while they were apart, making up for lost time. I haven't seen Miracle this happy in a while, or this secretive."

"They're definitely sneaking around," Trevor added, and I could hear the smirk in his voice.

"Oh, believe me, I know," Mom snickered. "I wasn't born yesterday."

I walk into the kitchen to save myself further humiliation, and to put an end to this conversation, my head down as I make a direct bee-line to the fridge to get myself a glass of juice. Both Trevor and Mom watch me walk into the kitchen in complete silence.

"Good morning," I mumble, refusing to make eye contact.

"Morning, sweetheart," Mom speaks first, leaning against the counter as she sips on her coffee. "How'd you sleep?"

It's a set up, a complete set up, but I fall into the trap anyway.

"Good," I mumble, not really thinking much of it, because, I did sleep good. In fact, I'd slept great. My eyes widen when I realise I'd easily fallen into her trap, and I suck in a breath knowing that she's going to comment on it.

"Looked comfortable," she hummed, something dancing behind her eyes that looked similar to amusement. I pause all movement, realising that if Trevor had seen me asleep with Jack, Mom definitely had. "You and Jack looked cosy."

"A little too cosy," Trevor mumbles, and I glare at him darkly, but he only glares right back.

"I guess," I say, my voice quiet. "We just sort of fell asleep."