As the two were bolting away, they could hear McGonagall yelling after them, "Mr. Potter! Mr. Black! Come back this instant!"

But it was too late as the two boys looked hurriedly around them, saw that the coast was clear and threw on James' invisibility cloak. Oh Merlin, how glad he was for borrowing it.

They made it to dinner while snickering the whole way. The view was delightful. Half of the students had paint all over their uniforms, shoes and hair. James thought that it added a bit of life to the black cloaks. Maybe the diversity will help the house rivalry.

The two tried their best not to burst from laughter and make themselves the prior suspects as they sat at the usual seats. Not long after, the other half of their group showed up.

"I see the time delay spell went well?", Remus said with a smirk sitting in front of them with Pete on his left bearing the same expression.

James nodded at them while acknowledging the help they got, "Well, thanks to our genius researcher."

"I still can't believe you and Pete didn't want to join us.", Sirius complained while putting potatoes in his plate, but the smaller boy answered immediately with furrowed brows, "Of course we wanted to, but some of us can't do the homework one night before it's due."

James saw Sirius giving the small boy an apologetic smile. Peter was right, he knew that, but it still sucked that the four of them haven't done a proper prank since Sirius' birthday. Even then, the celebrant wasn't in on it. He loved the small pranks he did just with Sirius, but he also wanted another big Marauders' prank, a prank that will be talked about.

Remus noticed the sad look on his face, "Don't worry, we'll go back to pranks after Christmas.", he assured, "The professors are going mental with the homework before break.",

James knew again that Remus was right, but just because the reason was justified didn't mean that he had to like it, "Yeah, I know."

Sirius lifted his gaze from potatoes, now looking at the boy in front of him, "How are you feeling by the way, Remus?"

He had stayed the whole night in the hospital wing a few days ago, again. James suspected Remus was maybe one of those people who get sick as soon as the weather changes. Still, it was a bit odd, but it wasn't his business.

A shy smile made an appearance on Remus' face, "Oh, much better. Thanks again for coming to the Hospital Wing, means a lot."

James adored how thankful the boy always was, so he wanted to reassure him that he didn't have to thank them every time, that they will always accompany him, "Don't mention it, we'll always come whenever you're feeling sick."

He saw Remus' face change into a proper, big smile. The boy even started to open his mouth to say something, but was quickly interrupted by the sound of heels on the stone floor coming near them.

"Potter! Black! My office! Now!", McGonagall yelled as soon as she caught sight of the two. Every student in the Great Hall turned to look at them, the ones with paint bearing annoyed expressions, while the ones without just laughed amused.

James sighed waving his friends a sad goodbye.

"See you later I guess.", Sirius said grunting as he started walking along side James towards the fuming professor.

* * *

Sunday, 12th December 1971.

Hogwarts

Dear James,

Your Head of House has written to us... again. She tells me you and your friends are playing pranksters... again. Please tone it down a bit, this was the fifth letter in almost four months, or at least don't get caught all the time.