Brotherly Bonding

Start from the beginning

"And? As your preeminence I demand you tell me." He exhales, mumbling someone's name in a voice less than a whisper. The last time I can remember him being this guilty was when I scolded him for attempting to kill Iris all those years ago, "I can't hear you."

"Get your ears checked."

I groan. We might be adults, parents, and rulers of a country, but we still can argue like siblings. This is one of those times. I choose not to force him and just continue with the food. I have five in total, each with three types of cheese— now I just have to grill the grilled cheese. In the silence, I listen to the stove clicking as it turns on. The flames make sounds of its own. Colton had magically produced a werewolf book from nowhere. Suddenly, "Ugh, fine, it's his best friend."

Catching me so off guard I nearly drop the sandwich, "Him?" I question with some distaste. Emin Achyls, the Amoris son of a konkursi, known for palace chaos and disruption. I withhold a swear when Colton nods. I didn't think Emin was Josiah's type. I didn't think Emin would be anyone's type in all honesty. But maybe I'm just being a judgmental father concerned for his child, "Isn't he a troublemaker?"

Colton shrugs, fingering through pages in his book, "Yes. I was concerned too, but you know how long they've been friends, surely he's trustable."

"It's not that I don't trust Emin, it's just that he's irresponsible— I don't want Josiah getting hurt."

"You sound like me when I met Alistair."

I chuckle, the sizzling of the buttered bread a satisfying background noise "Sorry... didn't mean to be like that. I guess it makes sense that he asks you. I never had a love interest growing up because I..."

He tilts his head thoughtfully, "You thought you would die too soon?" I nod, flipping the second grilled cheese.

"I'm lucky."

"Very," He closes the book, bored of it already. Sliding off the counter, he retrieves some more cooking tools. The stuff to make brownies, "You guys are so corny."

I look at his disgusted expression, "What? You don't do anything with Vienna?"

"We have four kids. You tell me."

"Which way should I interpret that?"

"Either way works," he grins mischievously.

"Ew."

"Says the corny one."

"Are you going to help me or not?" I point the spatula at him after finishing the fifth and final sandwich. Reluctantly, he starts mixing the dry and wet ingredients into different bowls. Eventually I realize he has one too many eggs and way more ingredients than necessary. Even after putting everything together and leaving the mixture in the oven, he doesn't put it away, "What's all that for?"

Quickly, he grabs the egg, "This!" Splat. With impeccable aim, the egg is thrown and cracks right onto my forehead. The yolk slips off my forehead while the whites drip onto the rest of my face.

I laugh menacingly, "You did not!" My fingers dig into the bowl of flour, taking a handful and throwing it at him. I send two more handfuls of the white powder his way. His face and suit are covered— he looks like a powdered donut. In his hand, he flicks the carton of milk which wets my dress shirt. In time, the entire bowl of flour finds its way into my hands. Colton equips himself with cocoa powder. Immaturely, we throw the powder back and forth. We become coated in the dust. We even throw some more eggs at one another. This continues for a while— until we hear the door ease open. We freeze in our tracks. I'm half ducking while Colton has his hand raised to chuck another handful. The figure stops in the doorway, her face suggests she's surprised and confused.

"Oh. Hello darling," Colton greets lovingly, lowering his hand.

Vienna sputters, "Wh-? Wha-what is going on-? Huh??"

I straighten up, "Nothing, Vienna. We're just cooking."

"Does cooking involve egg in your hair?"

"It's optional," Her husband responds. Slowly approaching he holds out his arms.

"Colton, no, don't hug me, you're messy—" he interrupts her protest with a kiss, promptly hugging her afterward. She groans loudly, her yellow dress now plastered with brownie ingredients, "What is with you Blackwoods and ruining our dresses?!"

My brother and I grin, "Hey. You and Iris were the ones who said yes."

She scowls, "Now I have to change." He giggles, kissing the top of her head and wiping his face off in her hair. When she does leave, I throw an egg at his face, the way he started the food fight. We both laugh as we clean up, bonding over talking about our kids. When the brownies are done, I place the pieces delicately into the box. The Beta eyes the box suspiciously.

"What's wrong, Colton?"

"One of them seem weird."

I gaze into the box, "Which one?" His finger starts pointing, but his hand splays out and snatches the chunk, letting him run out of the kitchen as fast as he can.