Chapter 43: The Hunting of Sirius Black (Conclusion)

Start from the beginning

"No, but I'm sure it's very similar to riding a Hippogriff."

Sirius and Harry both bowed to Buckbeak, who nodded and then unfurled its wings. Oddly, it seemed to understand what they were planning and (even more oddly) approved. Sirius moved to its side, but before he could mount, Harry grabbed him by the arm.

"Before you go, I need to tell you something," the boy said softly and with a more pensive expression than Sirius had ever seen on him.

"You'll probably need to make it quick, Harry," Sirius said with a chuckle. But then, he noticed the boy's expression and became more earnest.

"Sirius, I have to tell you ...." Harry rubbed his eyes and took a deep breath. "We warned you earlier tonight that Greyback was coming after you with his full intelligence thanks to the potion that Pettigrew gave him. What I didn't tell you was ... the potion was supposed to go to Remus Lupin, who was using the Shrieking Shack for his transformations. Pettigrew stole the potion from him. And then ...." Harry's eyes blinked rapidly. "He left me and James there tied up in the same room Lupin used to change and ...."

Sirius put a firm hand on his shoulder. "That must have been terrifying, Harry. I'm just glad you got away without being hurt."

Harry looked down at the ground. "I didn't ... get away, Sirius. I got my wand back and broke free of my bonds. But by then, Lupin ... he was right on top of me. I didn't have time to think, to come up with anything ...."

Suddenly, Harry began to cry. It was the most emotion Sirius had ever seen the boy reveal.

"Harry," he said. "Do you mean ... did you ...?"

"Y-yes, Sirius. I ... I killed Remus Lupin. I sorry. I ... I know he was your friend, and I didn't want to ...."

Before Harry could say anything else, Sirius pulled him into a tight hug.

"Shhh, Harry, shhh. It wasn't your fault. None of it. The bastard did to you what I once did to Snape – use our friend Remus like a weapon. You were as much a victim as Remus. Do not blame yourself."

"Do you ... do you hate me now because I'm a killer?" Harry asked softly, his face still buried in Sirius's shirt.

Sirius pulled back and lifted Harry's chin. "Did you do it out of malice? Were there any other options? No? Then, of course I don't hate you. I never could."

Harry sniffled. "James does."

Sirius's face darkened angrily. "James is a fool. And once I'm cleared, I'll tell him so to his face."

They both chuckled at that. Then, Sirius hugged Harry once more before climbing up onto Buckbeak's back. Seconds later, they were airborne and heading away from the school.

"Okay, that's done at least," Theo said as he watched the Hippogriff's departure. "Now what?"

"Now, we sneak you two into Hogwarts without you getting caught with me. James doesn't know either of you is involved, and I want to keep it that way."

"You don't need to face your father alone, Harry," Neville said.

"I have to face him eventually, Neville. Might as well get it over with. And there's no sense in involving you two when he doesn't know you're connected to Sirius or Azkaban or any of that business."

He smiled at his two friends. "At least you guys are speaking to one another again. If I'd known it was that easy to cure you of the Sanction, I'd have figured out how to get that ring off you long before now."

Neville tried to smile, but there was an unmistakeable sadness in his eyes. Theo reluctantly spoke up.

"Harry ... it wasn't just a matter of taking off his Heir's ring."