CHAPTER FORTY-NINE

In the territory where she had found solace, there now lies flames and destruction. The beautiful sunset she once admired, now made the surrounding place look like hell's gate has opened up. A dark mist covered the Steros Duchy where she had lived with her sister without worry. Loud explosions are heard hitting the barrier with all their might and I, stood in horror, at what has befallen the territory. 

The public square I had previously walked into earlier is now filled with blood. Knights were fighting off hooded men like the one by my side. He stood there, grinning from ear to ear at the sight of the townspeople's bodies scattered everywhere. I shuddered. I tried to keep myself from crying. The stench of blood made me feel nauseous. I almost gagged but I tried to hold it in.

"Y-you said there won't be casualties..!! W-why... why are you killing people..?!!" I can't help but exclaim.  He said they wouldn't hurt anyone... so why?

"Did you truly believe that?" He asked with an incredulous tone. As if what he's hearing is the most ridiculous thing he's ever heard. "You're naive aren't you?" He then laughed. Hysterically at that...

I realized that just now... How stupid have I been..? How could I believe someone who just appeared at my door holding a recently sharpened knife..? I trembled at his laughter. 

"Now, now, lead us the way to the princess, alright? You've no choice but at least you'll live!" He then had another fit of laughter. 

I walked with my feet trembling. I didn't realize it but we're inside the mansion now. Oh please, Goddess, forgive me for my sins, please, don't let them get what they want! 

"What are you doing?! Quick, lead us the way!" The guy dragging me was annoyed at the sudden stop I made. I pointed where he needed to go and he dragged me by the collar. I tripped but he still dragged me. Annoyed that my collapsed weight made it a hassle for him to drag me. He told me to get up.

I hurriedly got up, gasping for air.

In the distant halls, I can hear a faint rumbling sound. Like fighting in an enclosed room... Dread overcame my whole being while the man at my side, cheerfully exclaimed "Ha! Looks like I was second." He then happily dragged me to where the sound came from.

________________________

One, Two, Three....... Twenty-four hooded men... Who are these people..? They aren't from the Holy Order. I encountered these men as I was going up. Thankfully, I had released all the undead the Archduke had. They're violent though... I checked their bodies and they all had this strange insignia... It's somewhat familiar. Are they a terrorist group or a secret organization..? 

I got a bad feeling about this...

I released some of the undead to go after the employees to protect them after I had infused them with my mana. A few I had tasked to follow me. After knocking the hooded men out, I went on my way to find the Archduke. I hurried upwards but why is it that these hooded men are nowhere to be found now..? I took in a deep breath and calmed my nerves. Then slowly went up. As I walked, A faint rumbling could be heard, like fighting in an enclosed room...

Oh no... I need to hurry!  I ran as fast as I could. If only I had the teleportation ability I could easily get to the archduke in no time..! As I ran, the rumblings grew louder and louder. Now, I can hear vases smashing, tables getting broken, mana explosions... And the door is blasted open.

Smoke erupted from the blast, clouding my vision. I infused mana to my undead companions and readied a set of attack spells I had recently learned. The debris from the blast slowly dissipated and I could faintly see two people, fighting. One was the Archduke and the other one was an unknown hooded man. The Archduke seemed quite exhausted already. Blood trickled from the corners of his mouth and damage from the opponent's attacks was evident in his body.

I gritted my teeth. Why is he... alone? I told him to keep a few guards yet he didn't listen! Anger, worry, and guilt filled my whole being like a raging tornado. I readied the first attack spell I'd cast. Disintegration!

A magic circle erupted from beneath the unknown man's feet and shadow hands erupted from it dragging the man down. The hands ripped his flesh bit by bit away but he didn't seem to care... His flesh...

"It's regenerating..."I mumbled, feeling the dread slowly cover my body. He's not a simple opponent after all. I cast a series of attack spells and also ordered the undead to attack but no matter how much we attacked, he regenerated at an alarming speed... Even with an arm cut, he regenerates. Who... no, what in the world is he?! 

"You're getting annoying, y'know." The man turned to me languidly as if I was a mere pest in his eyes. He raised his hands towards me and cast an attack spell, at the same time I raised my hands in a hurry to counterattack. 

"Devil's pawn: Haunt." From the man's hands, a disgusting hand covered in blood erupted and went in my direction.

"Shadow Bind: Poisonous spider web, cover!" A spider web made of shadows quickly formed within my hand and covered the ugly hand then melted it into a pool of red. 

"Ha! I didn't know you were quite proficient with your powers now. Last I saw you, you looked useless." The man exclaimed in amusement.

"Who are you exactly?" I asked glaring at the man. From the spell he used earlier, it's clear he's part of a cult. Those hooded men are also the same...

"Your Father would be saddened by this." He said in mock worry. "The fact that you hid you've awakened, I mean." he continued and smiled. 

"WHO ARE YOU?!!!" I demanded and he laughed like I was a pet doing tricks... My anger surged much stronger and I was ready to attack him again when he took off the hood from his head.

"Don't you remember me, Little Morticia? It's me..." He said fixing himself up like he didn't just destroy the door.

"Your Uncle Kalix!" He then smiled sinisterly, like a demon that escaped from hell.