𝚚𝚞𝚒𝚗𝚌𝚎

Start from the beginning

and then, as the day came to a close, the man checked his watch and stood up from his spot on the floor. "i have to go," he said quietly, "but i'll be back to play with you tomorrow."

ellie looked up at him with a confused expression, but he brushed it off and gave her one last hug. "i love you, betty," he said, and she wrapped her arms around him, holding on tight.

"where you going, daddy?"

he looked out the window and saw his son and wife were back home. "don't worry, sweetie. i'll be back, just like i do every day. i've just gotta—um, i'm just going to speak with your mother before i go."

for some reason, the young girl felt skeptical. "you promise?"

the man smiled, kissing the top of her head. "i promise." and just like that, the man walked out of the door, and he carried with him a heart he was about to break.

ellie woke up the next morning to the sound of birds singing outside her window. the sun was just beginning to peak over the horizon, casting a warm glow across her bedroom. she stretched her little arms and yawned as she climbed out of bed, running to her window to see if there was anything interesting going on outside.

as she looked down at the sidewalk, she spotted her dad walking up the street, heading to work. she waved frantically, hoping he would see her, but he was so preoccupied with the morning's paperwork that he didn't notice her at all.

not to be discouraged, ellie quickly ran out the front door and caught up to her dad. she looked up and saw him standing next to her. she felt his warm embrace as he lifted her up into the air, her face tickled by the wind.

but as quickly as the image came to her, it was gone, and the reality of the empty bed hit her. she frowned and climbed out of bed, feeling a little bit sad that her dad had forgotten to say goodbye.

as she got dressed, she made her way to the kitchen to have breakfast with her mom. as she sat at the counter, her mom looked at her with a warm smile. "hey there, sweetheart," she said, putting her hands on ellie's shoulders.

"hi, mama," ellie replied, returning her mother's smile. "i tried to wave to dad this morning, but he didn't wave back. he was working on his paperwork and didn't see me."

her mother's face fell; she was slightly confused. "oh, i'm sorry, honey. i'm sure he was just, um... really focused on his work. he loves you very much, you know that, right?"

ellie nodded. "i know, mama. but it still hurts a little bit. i miss him."

her mother's eyes filled with tears. "i know, sweetie. but dad is busy right now. we love you very much, and i'm always here for you, no matter what."

ellie smiled and hugged her mom tight. "i love you, too, mama," she said, her little voice just a whisper in the quiet tranquility of the house.

₊⋆☁︎₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆₊☁︎⋆₊

december 18th, 1963.

"a throwaway," ellie mumbled to herself, leaning against her bed. she was staring at a picture of her and two-bit from when they were younger. when their father was still around.

when the idea of having only one parent around was still being denied in her brain, ellie would sit at her window for hours, waiting for his return. he promised he'd be back.

the sky was overcast that first week, as the conversation between her and her father replayed in her mind.

as long as it keeps raining, i know he wasn't lying. maybe he got stuck in the bad weather, she had thought.