Chapter 3 - The Rehearsal Disaster!

Start from the beginning

Her husband leaned over to her, placing a hand next to his mouth as he whispered, "Is he from your side of the family?"

"I can't recall." She snapped her fingers as she ordered, "Emil, a seat for Lord Barkis."

He was given a seat almost immediately, which he smoothly sat down in. Everyone stared at him, confused but also curious from his practically sudden appearance. Even Victor and Victoria were watching him, and it was the only time Pastor Galswells seemed annoyed by someone other than poor Victor.

"Do carry on." Barkis graciously declared, much to (Y/N)'s annoyance. He wasn't the groom or an important member of the family, yet he could give out orders like he owned the place?

She couldn't stay mad at the arrogant jerk for long as Pastor Galswells continued with the rehearsal. "Let's try it again, shall we, Master Van Dort?"

Victor nervously looked back at his sister, who gave him a small smile only to be nudged by her mother for distracting him. She huffed, rolling her eyes at the insufferable woman, but nodded sweetly towards Victor. A small bit of encouragement as if to tell him to keep on going.

"Yes." Victor finally answered while Victoria sweetly lit his candle for him. He held up the candle and his left hand, ready to practice his vows once more. "Yes, sir. Certainly."

"Right." The pastor harshly whispered.

"Right." Victor agreed, unaware of what the pastor actually meant, much to (Y/N)'s alarm. 

She softly 'psss'ed' to gain his attention, waving her right hand in a frantic manner but also in a way that didn't arouse suspicion or attract anyone else's attention.

Victor's eyes widened as he tossed the candle to his left hand in panic, holding up his right hand as he spluttered out, "Oh, right! With this...uh..."

"Hand!"

"With this hand!" Victor declared, taking Victoria's hand into his and taking a few steps forward as he continued to recite. "I...will- "

He bumped into the table, shaking the wine cup and making everyone either groan in annoyance or disappointment. All accept (Y/N), who cupped her hands over her mouth in worry. She had gone over Victor's vows with him and he had done well enough for what it had been worth. But he was nervous and she knew Victor could never perform well under pressure.

No one else seemed to understand that, as the pastor lost his patience and snapped out, "Three steps! Three! Can you not count? Do you not wish to be married, Master Van Dort?"

"No! No."

"You do not?" Victoria questioned in a hurt manner.

(Y/N) smacked a hand to her face, trying her best not to rush in and help her brother. She wanted nothing more than to help him but she knew that it would only make Victor look worse. All she could do was watch and hope it turned out better than it was currently going.

"No! I meant, no, I do not, not wish to be married. That is, I want very much to- OW!"

Victor got interrupted from his explanation as Pastor Galswells hit him over the head with his staff. "Pay attention! Have you even remembered to bring the ring?"

"The ring? Yes, of course."

Victor dug into his suit jacket while his father looked over to his mother, sending her a comforting wink and a thumbs up, much to (Y/N)'s annoyance. She had reminded Victor to not forget the ring, their dad had simply given it to Victor when it had been bought. As if that had done anything.

Victor held out the ring between two fingers. He smiled, proud of himself for doing something right, and his sister supportively applauded him for it. However, it turned to chaos in an instant, as the ring slipped from his fingers and bounced away.