The Oasis

The sun was setting over the dusty city of Hargeisa, casting long shadows over the ruins of buildings and cars. Ayaan, Fatima, and Hassan were making their way through the streets, looking for a safe place to spend the night. They had been on the run for weeks, ever since the zombie outbreak had swept across Somalia and beyond. They had seen things that no human should ever witness: people being torn apart by the undead, families turning on each other, cities burning and collapsing. They had lost everything: their homes, their friends, their families. They only had each other, and their will to survive.

They had heard rumors of a community that had managed to resist the zombies, somewhere in the outskirts of Hargeisa. They had decided to take a chance and look for it, hoping to find some shelter and food. They had been following a map that Ayaan had found on a dead soldier's body, along with a radio and a gun. The map showed a location marked as "The Oasis", with a symbol of a palm tree and a well. It was not far from where they were now, but they had to be careful. The zombies were not the only danger in this wasteland. There were also bandits, militias, and cults that preyed on the weak and desperate.

They reached a crossroad, where they saw a sign that pointed to "The Oasis". It was faded and rusty, but still readable. They followed the direction, hoping it was not a trap. They walked for about half an hour, until they saw a large wall made of stones and metal scraps. It surrounded a vast area of land, where they could see some tents, huts, and crops. There was also a well in the center, with a bucket and a rope. They could hear some voices and music coming from inside. It looked like a peaceful and prosperous place.

They approached the gate, which was guarded by two men with spears and bows. They wore leather tunics and sandals, and had long beards and braids. They looked at the newcomers with curiosity and suspicion.

"Who are you? What do you want?" one of them asked.

"We are survivors, looking for refuge," Ayaan answered. "We heard about your community, and we came to join you."

The guards exchanged a glance, then nodded.

"Very well. You may enter, but you must follow our rules," the other one said.

They opened the gate, and let them in. Ayaan, Fatima, and Hassan walked into the compound, feeling relieved and hopeful. They saw more people inside, dressed in similar fashion as the guards. They also saw some animals: goats, sheep, chickens, and even camels. They smelled food cooking over fires, and heard children laughing and playing.

They were greeted by an elderly man with a long white beard and a staff. He wore a robe and a turban, and had a friendly smile.

"Welcome to The Oasis," he said. "I am Abdi, the leader of this community."

He shook their hands warmly, then gestured for them to follow him.

"Come with me. I will show you around."

He led them to a large tent, where he invited them to sit on some cushions.

"This is our meeting place," he explained. "Here we discuss important matters, such as our security, our trade, our laws."

He poured them some water from a jug.

"Please drink. You must be thirsty after your journey."

They thanked him and drank gratefully.

"So tell me," Abdi continued. "Where do you come from? How did you survive the zombies?"

Ayaan told him their story briefly: how they had escaped from Mogadishu when the outbreak started; how they had traveled across the country; how they had lost many friends along the way; how they had found his map and radio; how they had heard about The Oasis.

Abdi listened attentively, nodding occasionally.

"I see," he said when Ayaan finished. "You have been through much hardship."

He paused for a moment, then smiled again.

"But you are lucky to have found us. We are one of the few places that have remained safe from the zombies."

He leaned forward slightly.

"Do you know why?"

Ayaan shook his head.

"No," he admitted.

Abdi chuckled softly.

"It is because we have returned to our roots," he said proudly. "We have abandoned the modern ways that brought this curse upon us."

He gestured around him.

"Look at us. . . . We have nothing that the zombies can use against us."

He looked at them with a serious expression.

"And we expect you to do the same, if you want to stay with us."

Ayaan, Fatima, and Hassan exchanged a glance. They were not sure what to think of this. They had grown up in a modern world, with technology and science. They had used these things to survive and fight the zombies. They had never imagined living like this.

But they also knew that they had no other choice. They had nowhere else to go. They needed a place to rest and recover. They needed a place to belong.

They nodded slowly.

"OK," Ayaan said. "We will follow your rules."

Abdi smiled again.

"Good," he said. "I am glad to hear that."

He clapped his hands.

"Now, let me introduce you to the others. You will find them very friendly and helpful."

He stood up and led them out of the tent.

Ayaan, Fatima, and Hassan followed him, feeling a mix of curiosity and apprehension. They wondered what their new life would be like in this community that had stepped back into the 4th millennium BC.