Slip

Everyone, except for Jude and Connor, clapped their hands and cheered on the band when the song had ended. They were too distracted, resting their foreheads against one another, eyes still closed from the kiss, and chuckled. "I'll always remember this", Connor said and opened his eyes, taking everything in. "Even when you're 86 and can't even remember when you last ate?", Jude teased and opened his eyes too to see Connor's reaction. "Even then", he replied confidently with a smile. They stood on there for a little while, smiling at the thoughts of everything they've gone through to get to where they were and the prospects of their future, that would hopefully be shared. "Not wanting to ruin the moment or anything", Jude started, breaking the silence, "but I really need to go to the bathroom". Connor was pulled out of his thoughts, "Okay yeah, I'll be where we sat and ate", he said and started towards the plastic chairs.

Connor had just sat down as he heard Callie call out to him, "Hey Connor!". "Hi Callie, what's up?", he responded. "Just wanted to ask how everything's going", she answered. The moments of the evening ran through Connor's mind, "It's going great actually", he said as he thought about the kiss. "I can tell by the look on your face", she said, seeing the boy's grin, "I'm glad you two found each other". Callie remembered how quiet and down Jude used to be before they were adopted by the Fosters; before he met Connor. He was the first person from Anchor Beach Jude ever brought up in conversation, the first person to befriend Jude, and the first person Jude had a crush on. Callie was genuinely happy for them, her only concern was that if they broke up Jude would be quiet and down, yet again. "Just don't hurt my baby brother okay?", she said a bit sternly. "I'd never do that", Connor replied, almost offended by her words, "he's the best thing that's happened to me in a long time and I wouldn't do anything that could put what we have at risk". He was surprised when Callie pulled him in for a hug, "Good", he heard her say before breaking the hug. She smiled at him and started to walk away, "Enjoy the rest of the night", she nearly shouted to make sure he could hear her; he did.

Connor waved his boyfriend over when he saw him. He gently patted the seat of the fold-up chair next to him, signaling for Jude to sit down. "I met Callie on my way back, she didn't say much, just hugged me at told me she was "so happy for me"", Jude stated as he sat down, "do you know anything about that?". Connor explained what had happened. "I'm so happy that everyone is so supportive of us", Jude said with joy. Connor's head tilted down towards the floor, "Not everyone...", he claimed. Jude laid his arm around Connor's shoulders and lightly rubbed his arm with his hand, almost like he did after they had first gone to the batting cages, only with more affection and intimacy now. "He's definitely coming around though. I mean, he let you go to prom with me Connor", Jude said, both of them thinking about the same person. "I think what my dad said really got to him and made him realize that his actions hurt rather than protected you". He moved his hand down to hold Connor's and leaned his head on his date's unrubbed shoulder. Connor rested his head on top of Jude's and softly squeezed his hand. "I suppose his intentions were good...", he said after being silent for a bit. "He loves you, Connor, I'm sure that deep down he just wants you to be happy", Jude replied, trying to cheer his boyfriend up. "And I am happy", he asserted. Jude felt Connor kiss the top of his head. They stayed like that for some time, appreciating each other's company and closeness.

*

Out of nowhere Connor exclaimed, "We've had enough rest now, come on, let's dance", he jumped out of his chair and held out his hand to Jude, for the second time. The band was playing more upbeat songs, the crowd had loosened up a bit and people were dancing more freely. The relaxing had left Jude somewhat sleepy and Connor had to drag him out of his seat, onto the dance floor. Jude didn't move much, compared to his beloved, who was completely wrapped up in the music. The obvious excitement on Connor's face quickly got rid of the coat of tiredness that had hung on Jude.

The two boys were ecstatic, they had never felt so free to be themselves, not scared of who might be looking, judging. In all of the commotion, they didn't pay much attention to where they placed their feet. Connor slipped and fell forward, onto Jude, making him lose his balance. Practically everyone's eyes were on them when they had landed, Connor on top of Jude. "I'm so sorry Jude", Connor began with a concerned voice, "are you okay? I don't know how it happened. I'm so so sorry. Did I hurt you?". He stared at Jude, waiting for him to say something. Jude burst out laughing. "I'm okay", Jude answered. "You sure?", Connor asked, still concerned. "Yes! I'm sure", he reassured. Now Connor was laughing too, knowing Jude was alright, he could relax.

Connor stood up and helped Jude get back up on his feet. "Everything's okay, no need to worry", Jude said to the crowd around them. The couple trotted back to their seats, trying to suppress their giggling. "I am so sorry Jude, I shouldn't be allowed on the dance floor", Connor said in a lighter tone than before. "The funny thing wasn't the fact that you fell", Jude started, "it's that you fell on top of me. Out of all the directions you could have gone, you had to take me down with you". Connor had to look away from Jude to try to calm down, which was as good as impossible. He looked back at Jude, who was snickering, "I love you", he said.