Chapter Two -Emerald

I saw the familiar faces of my other classmates as we were all walking to our classroom. The sign above the door read "Mrs. Markham, second grade." My teacher taught me how to read signs like that one.

I opened the door and walked through the crowded classroom to my seat. There were thirty nine students in my classroom - I counted yesterday.

"Good morning class! Who can tell me what day it is?" I really wanted to answer my teacher, but I couldn't remember what number today is.

"It is Wednesday, May twentieth. You remember what happens on the twenty second of May, right?"

"Yes Luma, I remember. It's the day we grow closer!" I thought to myself.

"You are right, child. Now, I believe your teacher is calling you."

My focus switched back to my classroom, and everyone was looking at me.

"Emerald, are you listening? Please read the first paragraph."

"Sorry Mrs. Markham. On a very cloudy day in England, a boy named Jerry..."

When school was over, I said bye to my classmates and trotted over to my mom's minivan. I opened the door with my little hands and threw my backpack in before I entered.

"Hey honey! Do you want to go do some shopping?"

We got back home at seven o'clock, and the trunk was filled to the brim with bags from stores like Gap and Old Navy.

"Put your bags in your room, and then come back downstairs. It's important, so please hurry."

I did as she said, and went to go put away my clothes. Right when I was about to finish, my mind seemed to shut down, and my vision left me. I panicked and tried to move, but my legs and arms went stiff.

Pain surged through my chest, and my throat closed so I couldn't breathe.

"Luma? Luma! Please Luma help me!" I cried out in my mind. It felt as if she was no longer there. Tears started to fall, and all I could do was stand stiffly and unable to see.

I felt myself drop to the floor, and the last thing I heard was my mom's voice saying, "I'm so sorry sweetie, I didn't think it would start this early." She started to cry softly, "Let yourself sleep, it will be worth it tomorrow."