From a Whisper to a Scream

Start from the beginning

Seemingly satisfied with the explanation, Haymitch turns back to his screen. Luna quickly puts her middle finger up at this back before turning to her screens. As her eyes refocus on the screen, she sees a swarm of Jabberjays attacking Katniss and Finnick as they attempt to run away. Three separate voices can be heard now, the third being that of a man, but Luna is unsure who the voice belongs to.

Crying harder, Luna places her hand on her screen in an attempt to comfort Finnick, and herself. A small gasp leaves her lips as she sees Katniss run into an invisible barrier and fall to the floor whilst Peeta tries in vain to reassure her. Finnick kneels beside her and the pair both cover their ears, desperate to block out the sound of their loved ones in despair.

Luna watches for a full hour as Katniss screams, and Finnick stares blankly ahead. Her eyes do not leave the screen at all, no matter how many times Brutus and Enobaria attempted to get her to leave, claiming she shouldn't have to sit through it. With each attempt, Luna would simply shrug them away or mutter the word "no", not wanting to leave in case the situation escalates.

"It's over. It's okay. They're gone." Peeta speaks softly as he touches Katniss' back. "The hour's gone. The hour's up. It's all right."

Katniss gasps heavily as she feels the contact on her back and shoots up into a sitting position. "Prim! Find Prim!" She speaks breathlessly.

"No, no. Prim's Okay."

"Are you okay?" Johanna whispers, crouching down and putting her face close to Finnick's.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'm fine." Finnick whispers back, holding his hand up to dismiss the girl.

"Okay? They won't touch Prim. All right?" Peeta explains in an effort to reassure his 'fiancée'.

"Your fiancé's right. The whole country loves your sister. If they tortured her or did anything to her, forget the districts, there would be riots in the damn Capitol." Johanna explains, smirking towards the end. She then begins to speak again, her voice getting louder, "Hey, how does that sound, Snow?" She begins to look around, "What if we... what if we set your backyard on fire? You know, you can't put everybody in here." Her four allies look at her with confused and concerned expressions on their faces. "What? They can't hurt me. There's no one left that I love."

Luna can't help but laugh through her tears at Johanna's bluntness. If you needed anyone to speak honestly and not give two shits about the consequences.

"She shouldn't have done that..." Haymitch mutters.

"Why not? What are they going to do, punish her? Face it, Haymitch, they already are punishing her. They're punishing all of them by putting them in there again." Luna finally snaps. "And they're punishing us by making us mentor people we view as family. So leave Johanna the fuck alone."

"Okay I think that's enough... Luna, come sit over here." Brutus cuts in before the argument can escalate, and pulls up a spare chair so the girl can sit between him and Enobaria.

The redhead slams her hands on the table as she stands and begins to walk over to the pair. "If anyone else makes fucking stupid comments about my friends, I swear to God I will break your nose worse than Ven's. Am I understood?"

Everyone murmurs in response as the girl sits with the District 2 mentors. As she sits, Luna tucks her chair in between the pair and smiles. "So how are my parents today?"

"Parents?" Enobaria laughs, "Please don't make me feel old, Luna."

"I don't speak to my parents often, you two act more like family than they do so you're my parents. I've already called Brutus dad, so many as well call you mom too. Oh wait, maybe I should be calling Gloss dad seeing as you two slept together." Luna jokes.