Part 16

It has been a few days after the funeral. Haseena did fly back the morning after from Maine but she wasn't there in time to see her dad before he went into the surgery. He survived the surgery but the aftermath took his life. He just never woke up. Haseena was at work when she learned the news from Mira. She was indifferent; didn't shed a tear or carried some sort of guilt around. At least, she appeared so to Karishma who has been keeping an eye on Haseena. She was worried.

Although Haseena constantly said she was fine and although Haseena didn't get along well with her dad, a loss always affects people; especially, people who bury their feelings and hope they will eventually disappear.

It is the night before New Year's Eve. Karishma is half asleep when she turns and reaches for Haseena but all she gets is emptiness. Haseena is not on her side of bed and when Karishma opens her eyes, Haseena is nowhere to be found in their bedroom. There are just silence and void that she hates so much.

"Haseena." Karishma says with her dry throat. It is so low that she doubts if anyone will hear it. The search for her wife starts a few seconds later after the lamp is turned on and the time is read. "Baby."

The dead of night is the only one who answers Karishma's call. She reaches herself over to Haseena's nightstand to check if her glasses are still there and when she doesn't find them, she quickly gets on her feet and stumbles out of the bedroom. Her hair is as messy as her mind. Worries are piling up so high in a matter of seconds. Her eyes travel to the kitchen first where Haseena usually snakes to for some midnight snacks. When Karishma's eyes don't catch a sight of Haseena there, they quickly move to the living area. Her wife is not there but the half-open balcony door shouts out the biggest clue. A figure is outside; leaning on the balcony railing. Karishma grabs the knit blanket that they've got from her mom for Christmas with her as she takes on the journey to explore the mind of the mystery figure. It will be cold but she is prepared.

"Hey."

The simple greeting spooks Haseena and makes her throw what is in her had off the balcony. Karishma looks over the balcony to see it fly aimlessly through the air before looking at her wife who is already in her warm down jacket with a fur hood.

"Hi." Haseena wipes her hands with the jacket and waves them "Hey."

"Did you just throw a plate off the balcony?" Karishma asks with her wide eyes and pitchy voice.

Haseena scoffs. "What? No."

"Haseena. What if it open someone's head?" Karishma is panicking but not for the reason Haseena thought she would be.

"Karishma, it won't."

"Why did you throw it?"

"I was panic." Haseena takes the blanket and wraps it around Karishma tightly enough to draw her attention back from the fallen plate. "Why are you up? You're having a 24-hour shift, aren't you? Let's go back inside."

Haseena rubs her hands on Karishma's arms and guides her way inside. She closes the balcony door to block out the cold breeze of winter while Karishma holds on to the knit blanket around her and sits on the couch. Haseena takes off her jacket and sits down next to Karishma before wrapping her arm around her shoulder; hoping it will be warm enough for her.

Karishma glances at Haseena while grabbing her hand that is on her shoulder. "Are you alright?"

"No." Haseena answers so softly like it is not a big deal.

Karishma pulls away from her and readjusts her sitting position to face Haseena. She takes her time to observe Haseena's soul through her eyes but nothing can be read. The sight from Haseena is shining so brightly with her reflection in them.