Part 8

“Hi.”

Haseena waves awkwardly to Danielle. The girl in her yellow flannel with a couple buttons leaving undone quickly sends Danielle into unfunctional mode. She has just got off her night shift and her brain refuses to process anything right now and Haseena’s presence doesn’t help with that.

“Picking up Karishma?” Danielle asks; trying to seem casual but her eyes travel down Haseena’s shirt; button to button. She doesn’t want to seem awkward so she clears her throat a few times that they send her into a tiny coughing session.

“Yeah.”

“Perfect weather for Sunday morning, isn’t it? Picnic and stuff.” Danielle looks at Haseena leaning against the pillar, her baseball cap and glasses cannot hide beautiful hazel eyes that are not very sparkling but still warm and intriguing. “A bit too chilly for a picnic though.”

Haseena grins a bit. “We’ll just have lunch with my mom.”

“Perfect weather for that too.” Danielle chuckles nervously. She hasn’t seen Haseena much but every time she is right in front of her, there is this tickling feeling happening within her and she hasn’t figured out the way to manage it. “She is probably finishing some reports.”

“Yeah.” Haseena nods before the awkward silence.

“Hey.” Karishma greets with a smile. She immediately wraps her arms around Haseena’s waist and leans in for a quick peck. "Are you chewing gum?"

“Yeah.” Haseena opens her mouth to let Karishma see it and Karishma has to cover Haseena’s open mouth with her hand before looking over at Danielle. “I’m sorry. She gets weird sometimes.”

Danielle chuckles lightly. “Yeah. Hm. Have a nice morning... afternoon, you two. I’m going to head home and get some sleep now.”

“Yeah. See you.” Karishma bids her good bye and Haseena waves quietly.

“Bye.” Danielle turns around and leaves. She makes sure to give an awkward wave before going off her way. She tries not to be awkward but now with Haseena, her awkwardness just goes through the roof of Empire State building.

“You don’t chew gum.” Karishma doesn’t let this slide easily. She starts her little interrogate of this unusual event.

“Someone gave it to me. I don’t want to be rude.” Haseena places her hand on Karishma’s shoulder and leads her to a red Mazda CX-5 that is parking by the sidewalk; not so far away from the ED entrance. “I’ve got a surprise. Surprise! Are you surprised?”

Karishma suddenly stops and looks at Haseena suspiciously with a bit sprinkle of anger. She is a bit tired for a fight but she has to get into one if Haseena has just bought a car without talking to her. “Did you buy a car?”

“I did not.” Haseena chuckles. “I’ve rented it. If we’re buying it, we have to test it first.”

Karishma still doesn’t leave her suspicion behind as she approaches the car with a little push from Haseena. “Do you want me to drive it?”

“No. I’ll drive it.” Haseena opens the passenger seat door for Karishma and helps her get in. She even fastens the seatbelt for her. “You just take a seat, take a nap and relax.”

“Listen, baby, you’re a terrible driver.” Karishma makes a remark that stops Haseena from closing the door. “You can’t even parallel park, Haseena.”

“I can parallel park.” Haseena scoffs and secretly checks the position of the car. The wheels are not turning straight and the word ‘parallel’ is not the suitable word for how she has parked the car. “Well, you can’t... say no to me.”