Chapter 2

The following day, along with best friends Charlotte, Sydney, and Gary, Isla is on a shopping trip to find outfits for the Battle of The Bands at their school. They have been practicing since the start of the year, so this was a huge opportunity for them.

"I cannot wait for this," she stated excitedly.

"I know!" Charlotte responded, "If we win..."

"Gary may get a girlfriend?" interrupted Sydney.

The group bursts out laughing, knowing it was a joke.

"Rude," Gary stated, "I will not get just one girlfriend, I will get what every guy in a band wants... girls fighting over me."

Everyone laughs as they continue shopping. Moments later, they notice a group of policemen handcuffing two black siblings. Isla knew she had to do something, and then she came between them.

"What's going on?" she asked.

The police responded, "There was a break-in at this shop, two people stole at least 10 items of clothing, and now we're taking them to jail."

"But don't you need to look at the camera first to make sure it was them?" she questioned.

The officer came up to Isla, looking down on her as if he was the hulk, "I don't need any proof love. I know what these people are like. Just stay out of it darling."

"Don't talk about them like that," she clapped back, "and I refuse to let you arrest them until proven guilty."

"I don't need a lecturer love. So step aside, run back to where you came from and leave this to a grown-up."

Just as she was about to leave, her friends come out of the shop with the manager to look at the situation.

"That's the policeman", Sydney said, "That's the one who's trying to arrest them."

"It's for the good of the public", the policeman stated. "I'm arresting you both for..."

The manager interrupted, "Hang on a minute, these are not the people who did not steal from my shop."

"and how would you know?" questioned the policeman.

"I checked the footage, and the real culprits are with security now." The manager points out the real thieves and then turns to Isla. "Young lady, if it wasn't for you and your friends, these innocent people would have been taken away for a crime they didn't commit. You should be proud."

Isla felt honoured and responded with "Thank you."

The policeman walked away annoyed, giving Isla a threatening stare. She didn't care, and she watched as her friends and the public looked at her with pride.

Later that evening, the word of what's happened got to Isla's family. They recently saw it on the news, but there were mixed views from the family.

"I am so proud of you darling," her dad Glenn said, supportive of his daughter.

Her mum Darcy was the opposite of proud. "You shouldn't have gotten yourself into that situation. You cannot get involved with people like those two. They're not us." She gives off a big sigh, "Why can't you be more like Holly?"

Holly was Isla's younger sister, who always copies her mum, from how she dresses to the opinions she was taught when she was younger. This fuelled Isla with upset and anger.

"No, they're not us. But they are human, and whether you like it or not they deserve the respect we get. You're just like grandma and grandpa." Isla storms to her room.