Chapter 23: Endless Love

Start from the beginning

"So?" She asked. "What gives?"

Masae looked at her feet. "Family."

Though that wasn't an answer, Renge didn't pry any further. She just changed the subject, prattling on about the decor and the guests and how smashingly everything was going while Masae tuned it out and let her lead them through the salon. She was grateful for the white noise of Renge's voice, and that she didn't expect a response.

Renge led her through the parlor and out into the hallway. The Hosts were there, right outside the door, gathered around Kyoya.

They all looked up when the door opened. And, in an instant, multiple pairs of arms wrapped around Masae.

She exhaled all the air she had been holding in. There were three of them: Tamaki on her right side, Kaoru on her left, and Honey with his arms curling protectively over the bustle on her hips. All three of them were warm.

"Where on Earth were you?" Asked Tamaki, sounding absolutely fraught. He detached himself from her reluctantly, along with Kaoru. "We thought you'd been killed by bandits!"

"No we didn't," said Kyoya. "But why on Earth did you turn off your cell phone?"

Masae blinked at them. "Were you really that worried?"

"We didn't know where you were, Senpai," Haruhi said. She stared at Masae with her big brown eyes. Masae felt instantly guilty.

To make things worse, Honey was staring up at her too, still hugging her tightly. "You were supposed to meet us before the exhibition started, Masa-chan. We were all really worried about you."

"I'm... fine," said Masae pathetically. She looked around, trying and failing to not meet anyone's eye. Kyoya, most specifically, was staring at her intently. "I just overslept."

"Okay..." Kaoru said.

"That's really not like you, senpai," Hikaru said. "That's more like Kyoya to– ow!" He cut himself off rather fortuitously when his brother elbowed him hard.

Masae forced a smile. "Well, there's a first time for everything, isn't there?" She breathed in, and breathed out. All seven of the Hosts and Renge were looking at her. Her smile dropped. "Don't you all have customers to entertain? Go! Get to work!"

They did as she said, all of them hurrying past her except for Mori, who stared at her hard and ruffled her hair appreciatively before leaving. Only Tamaki and Kyoya remained, which was bad enough.

Kyoya got out a pad of paper and started writing, but Tamaki just kept staring at her. "You really scared us, you know," he said.

"I'm sorry," said Masae.

"Don't be sorry." Tamaki sighed, squeezing his eyes shut. He looked, all at once, very miserable. "Just... stay safe, please."

Masae pursed her lips as she nodded half-heartedly. Had she really scared them that much?

Tamaki sighed one more heartbreaking time before passing Masae. He went back into the parlor, leaving her alone with Kyoya, who still wouldn't look at her.

"I assume you know we're going to talk about this later?" He asked, disinterested.

Masae nodded. "Yes." She knew he knew about her family; it was impossible that he didn't. Even if he hadn't heard from his father, they shared a heart. Her knowledge was his as well. They both knew that this wasn't a conversation they could have if she was meant to weather the rest of the Fair, and he respected that.

"Good." Kyoya nodded once and put away his pad of paper. He held out his elbow to her. "We should go back in, then."

Masae took his arm and they both stepped back into the parlor. It was if the Hosts had never been gone, the way they integrated themselves seamlessly into the girls and their families. No one even noticed their entrance.