Chapter 15: The Pianists' Woe

"He doesn't want to be a Host, he has a specific girl that he wants to impress," Haruhi explained. The two girls were situated in the changing rooms, Haruhi getting dressed behind a curtain while Masae brushed out the long brown wig she was supposed to wear.

"So you're... breaking into the elementary school?" Masae asked, raising a brow at the plan. "Why? And are you ready yet?"

Haruhi stepped out from behind the curtain, smoothing down the skirt of the middle school uniform she had changed into. "We're trying to find the girl. And yeah, I'm ready."

She turned her back to Masae, who combed through her hair hurriedly. Haruhi had irritatingly soft hair– Masae was almost jealous. The wig was less soft, but it looked just as good on Haruhi.

"Bangs suit you," Masae remarked as she styled the wig further. The longer hair made Haruhi look sweeter, which wasn't bad. But it wasn't Haruhi. Still, from a purely aesthetic standpoint, the wig looked good on her.

Haruhi ducked her head a little. "Thanks, Senpai."

"Are you two ready yet?" Called the whining voice of prince Suoh.

Masae sighed and walked to the dressing room door. When she pulled it open, Suoh fell into an ungraceful heap on the floor.

"Peeping Tom," Masae said.

Suoh was up on his feet in an instant, flailing his arms like a madman as he followed Masae back to Haruhi's side. "I am not a peeping Tom!"

Her eyes narrowed. "Why are you leaning against the door while girls are changing, then? And what is the point of all this?" She gestured vaguely at Haruhi, who was fixing her wig further in one of the mirrors hanging up on the wall.

"I was waiting for you to finish!" Suoh threw up his defense poorly. "Haruhi's job is very important, lady secretary! Her and Honey-senpai have to go to the elementary school to track down this girl our young apprentice is so smitten with. She's got to look the part!"

Masae huffed. He hadn't actually answered any of her questions. "Yes, but why?"

"So we can get Shiro out of the club room," Haruhi offered, which was a good enough incentive. Masae would have accepted that answer just fine.

But Suoh disagreed with the purpose of their mission. "No, no, no!" He waved his finger in the air, reminding Masae strangely of Renge. "Our Shiro Takaoji is so innocent, so youthful, so pure! It is our duty as a Host Club to fuel the spirit of his love as best we can! We've got an extra uniform for you, Masae, if you want. You'd look cute in it."

Masae snorted. "Not on your life."

"Oh, Masae, where is your romantic spirit?" Suoh asked, swooning against the wall.

"I'll look for it while you're gone," Masae offered.

🌹🌹🌹

When Suoh and the others came back, carrying Shiro in kicking and screaming, Masae's blood pressure skyrocketed. This was kidnapping.

"What is your problem, you big idiot?" Shiro shouted. He was held under the idiot prince's arm.

With more strength than Masae thought him capable of, Suoh catapulted the elementary student into the nearest sofa, which rocked back before slamming back down. Shiro looked a little dazed but, to his credit, no less angry. From where she stood frozen at a table, Masae clutched her chest. Her heart was palpitating.

"I'm sorry, but you're the idiot!" Suoh hissed. As he drew closer to Shiro, the younger boy rose to meet him. "You said you wanted to make women happy but that's not it, is it? You're not concerned with the happiness of just any woman, you've got your sights set on one woman in particular. You only care about one, and that's Hina Kamishiro."