Chapter 5

Season 1 Episode 5

Season 1 Episode 5

Lidia POV

I'd spent the whole night attempting to reach my mother, but the call merely went to voicemail, leaving me seething even more.

My phone rang as I slid out of bed, and I scooped it up, answering it.

"Hello, hon—"

"Are you serious, mom?" My voice increased. "You actually left strangers in control of me."

"It's simply to keep you in charge, honey; I know how crazy university can be."

I caught a glimpse of my shocked look in the mirror; it was because she didn't deny having two strangers watching my every action. This was very incredible. I physically jumped state to avoid dealing with her domineering conduct, which was really smothering me.

"How could you do that?" I sob and place my fingers over my lips, hoping that another sob will not escape. "That's not fair, Mom. All I want is to be—"

"It's actually rather simple, Lidia. If you can't follow the rules because you're so far away from me, then come back home."

"Come back home to do what?" I yelled fiercely.

"Don't talk to me like that young woman; remember, I still have the authority to remove you from Stanford."

"Are you serious about threatening me like that, mom?"

"It's a warning, not a threat. We won't have any problems if we walk straight and stick to the plan."

"You are the worst mother a daughter could possibly have—"

"I pay for it; your father couldn't care less about you."

"At least he's not insane or controlling."

"Lidia Lisa Basket, what had become of you? You call me back only when you plan to converse with me in a reasonable manner."

"I despise you." Just as the phone went dead, I gritted. I let my tears flow, and the door couldn't be opened at a better time.

"Get the hell out!" I shouted after Ander. She immediately locked the door behind her. I could feel a heartbreak building on simply thinking about my mother being a master at work my entire life—her life.

*********

It was empty when I arrived at class, and I noticed from my watch that it wouldn't start for another fifteen minutes. The walk there wasn't too difficult. However, I was hoping to locate a buddy who could help me get there and back if it wouldn't be too much trouble.

I didn't have to be alone for long since Nora and Dantae came in. Nora sat on the left, Dantea on the right, and I was in the middle.

"You appear stressed; did we have homework that I was unaware of?"

"Just some personal issues." I felt compelled to talk to someone about my mothering issues, even though I didn't want to pour my concerns on anyone.

I didn't want to come out as an ungrateful brat, but I couldn't tolerate being watched. I'll be twenty in January, so I don't see why I should be treated like a child.

"Well, if you want to talk to someone, I'm here."

"Me too," Dantae said, raising one arm.

I chuckled and nodded. So far, I've had three people whom I would consider friends, and given my mother's methods, I don't believe I should pile on any more. During my lunch break, I learned all I needed to know about Nora. Never went out to parties and had all straight As in high school.

I wasn't a party person, but there were a few events I'd want to attend just to see what all the fuss was about. Dantae wasn't too horrible, just a little cringe, but who isn't, and Stacy was just an OCD girl trying to make it through university.

"I couldn't get through my textbook since there was a dorm room party."

"Really?"

"I spent the entire night attempting to sleep."

"Do they throw parties in your dorm?"

"I reside in a neighboring suburb."

"Me, too; I can come see you occasionally." Dantae stated. "We could study, for example."

"I wish, I can't invite guests over due to a litany of regulations. But I wouldn't mind dropping by every now and again."

"No guests, not even your parents, that's cruel."

"My mom made it that way, therefore the rules certainly do not apply to her."

"Give me your address, and I'll drop by this weekend."

"It's 38 Tom Avenue, which is just next to the park with the many benches."

I nodded, recalling passing through a park before arriving at my destination.

"Do they have a certain time for you to arrive?"

"I think...it's approximately 11pm, no later than that," was my thought as I fixed my gaze on the high, white ceiling, attempting to remember the precise hour.

I even noticed where if I broke a rule, they had to notify the school, who subsequently told my mother. This feels like high school all over again, with the exception that I'm an adult.