Chapter Seventy Two: The Past Or The Future (1)

Start from the beginning

"Oh..."

Gerard opened his mouth as if he was going to talk. However, only incoherent sounds came out. He bit his trembling lip and grabbed the hem of Chloe's sleeve.

As more time passed by meaninglessly, Chloe's face grew more resigned.

"Enough."

Chloe shook off Gerard's hand and walked away from him.

"Chloe..."

Gerard called her name as he went after her. However, she pushed him away with a stiff expression.

"Don't follow me if you don't want to talk to me."

Upon her words, Gerard stopped as if he was blocked by an invisible wall.

'Ha! Is this the end...?'

Chloe couldn't hide the helpless laugh that escaped her mouth. Before her mind realized it, she had walked up to the Blanchett carriage, which was waiting in front of her.

"You're such a coward."

Chloe said to her husband, who looked at her wistfully, and climbed into the carriage. She drew the curtains of the carriage window and slapped the front panel of the carriage with full power, signalling the coachman to depart.

She despised Gerard Blanchett. She despised him so much that she couldn't stop crying. Chloe's face was messed up by the combination of cold raindrops and hot tears.

"I hate you..."

However, even at that moment, the glimpse of her husband's reddened eyes came to her mind. She was also worried that he would stay in the rain for too long. She hated it.

After the carriage had moved for a while, Chloe decided to look through the curtain. She saw Gerard still standing there, with a foolish look on his face.

"Why are you like this, I hate you so much..."

Poor Gerard Blanchett. Contrary to his magnificent look, he was a broken man on the inside. As much as Chloe loved him, she felt he was difficult and a handful.

-Don't take back the choice you made.

What she said to Leila became a shackle that trapped her. Actually, Chloe was the one who wanted to run away from her own choice.

At that moment, she blamed herself for choosing Gerard.

After that day, the Blanchett couple suffered from fevers after standing in the cold rain for a long time. Gerard, who had stood in his spot for a long time after Chloe left, had to suffer even more.

***

Chloe woke up in darkness. For some reason, she felt the room was familiar and eerie. She walked up to the dim light. She felt a strong instinct that she had to follow it.

"Ugh..."

Chloe's eyes released a few wistful tears as she walked ahead. A surge of uncontrollable emotion engulfed her.

And when she spotted a book floating in the air, she fell to the ground with tightly closed eyes.

The book that showed the future. It was the book she hadn't seen in her dream for eight years. The book that had no title and no author.

"Why are you doing this to me?! Why?!"

Chloe screamed and buried her face in her hands.

She thought about what it meant if the book appeared again. Did it want to mock her for making the wrong choice?

"Why are you coming to me again..."

Then, the book fell on the ground before her.

Thud!