"They were following us from the time we left the palace." Pai tells him. "I had a bad feeling when you were delayed by your uncle and father. So, I had Phayu and his men follow from a distance. Then when the tree was down across the road, we felt it was time to get you out."

"That wasn't you?" Rain asks.

"No it wasn't," Phayu answers. "We thought your uncle's men were going to make their move."

Rain is beginning to believe at least where his uncle is concerned, he refuses to entertain the thought that his father wants him dead. His uncle though. It had been uncharacteristic for him to call Rain in for a meeting, he seldom went out of his way to include Rain in anything. Then there was the subject of the meeting. The distribution of seeds to the local farmers so that they would have a variety of crops for the next year. It hadn't been anything urgent or that couldn't have waited until Rain got back if he needed to be involved. Then it had been his uncle that had suggested that they take the path through the forest to save time. Since when did his uncle even worry about such things? Everything points to what Pai says being true. About his uncle.

"You said you have no proof that it goes further than my uncle, why do you think my...I mean what makes you think the king could be involved?" Rain asks.

"It's mainly that your uncle doesn't have the authority to replace my men that is bothering me." Pai says, "I will reserve judgment for now that there could be another explanation."

Rain thinks this over. It's true as the head of his guard Pai has the authority to recommend one of his men be reassigned or recommend someone new for a post but that's all he can do is recommend. P'Pakin who is over all the royal guards has more power, but he can't reassign guards without permission. Rain's uncle is over many day-to-day operations of the palace but has no connections to the guards whatsoever. Only the king has absolute power to make changes in the ranks.

Still there could be another explanation, perhaps Rain's uncle somehow tricked his father into making the changes. "Okay we'll set that to the side for now. I guess the question is what happens next?"

"For now we need to keep you hidden away. I have people in the palace investigating, trying to find out everything they can about the plot and who will gain with Rain gone." Pai tells them. "Tonight, why don't you get some sleep, your highness, tomorrow we will move you to a more comfortable residence. This is some way from where we left your carriage but if the area around the forest is searched it wouldn't be hard for someone to stumble across this place. We need to move further away."

Rain nods and looks around the little cabin, the floor doesn't exactly look comfortable, but it seems to be the only place they can sleep. There aren't even any blankets to sleep on. The house is warm enough with the fire, but it would be nice to have anything to soften the hard dirt floor, even a bard would be better, at least there would be hay.

Rain lays his cloak down and spreads it enough for him and Sky to have a corner. The others are on their own.

Sky glares at Pai and says, "This isn't over, we will discuss this more in private later."

Pai gives the omega his best puppy dog eyes, but Sky just huffs and turns away. Rain thinks the alpha will have to do a lot of work to win Sky's trust back.

Speaking of, "Phayu, I owe you my thanks." Rain tells the man.

Phayu raises an eyebrow at this. "For kidnapping you?" he asks with some amusement. Rain has noticed the man has a tendency of teasing him. It's refreshing no one has dared tease him, except maybe Sky, since his mother passed away.

"I may not care for the method, but it seems like you saved my life." Rain says. "For that I am grateful."

"We aren't out of danger yet," Phayu says, "If we manage to make it through this and get you back to the palace where you belong then you can thank me."

Despite the hard floor Rain is asleep almost from the moment he lays down. It's been an exhausting day.

Phayu looks down at the sleeping omega, sharing his cloak with his companion. He would have been more comfortable folding it over and keeping it for himself. Now one would have blamed him; it would be his right to expect that much comfort as the prince. Instead, it had never even occurred to him. Phayu thinks that Rain has a naturally generous disposition. It's probably why his people love him so much. Phayu takes off his own jacket and lays it across the omega as a makeshift blanket even as Pai does the same thing for Sky.

Phayu has his men sleep outside, with assigned watches just in case. His men are used to sleeping rough when necessary. He and Pai sleep with their backs against the only door to the cabin. Rain seems to believe them, but Phayu doesn't believe in taking chances. If the omega tries to run, he would be in danger both from his uncle's men who must be searching for them and from the wild creatures that hunt the forest. Not to mention there are real bandits out and about.

The next morning after a small breakfast they pack up the horses and move away from the forest. Rain rides behind Phayu, but at least he gets to sit in a more dignified position this time. Sky reluctantly rides with Pai when the alpha glares down any of the other men who might offer to take him. He sits stiffly refusing to touch the alpha more than necessary.

They travel fast most of the day, barely stopping a short time to stretch and drink water at noon. By early evening Rain is having to cling to Phayu's waist to keep from falling off the horse in his exhaustion and even Sky is slumped against Pai. When they finally stop for the night Phayu has to help Rain down to keep him from sliding to the ground, again.

The best thing Rain can say about the house they stop at this time is it is larger, and it has actual rooms and furniture inside. Someone has also stocked the house with supplies.

Rain is all for going straight to bed without eating, he can barely keep his eyes open, but Phayu insists on them having dinner first. He bullies Rain into eating then takes him and Sky to one of the bedrooms. "Do I need to lock the door?" He asks.

"Where would we go?" Sky asks. "Besides, if we are going to trust you, shouldn't that go both ways?"

"That's fair." Phayu says.

"I only want my friend to be safe, and it seems like the safest place could be with you and your men." Sky says. "Now if you will excuse me, his highness is weary.

It seems as if weary is an understatement. Rain is already in bed, and from the sound of the soft snores fast asleep. Phayu smiles at the sight and gives Sky a slight bow.

After Phayu leaves Rain and Sky he goes to where Pai is sitting on the front porch.

"Are they asleep?" Pai asks.

"Prince Rain was when I left, and Sky looked dead on his feet, so I imagine he is by now. Those two are used to palace life, not harsh days of travel and roughing it." Phayu says with a frown.

"Don't let them fool you. It's been a rough two days for them, and it's true they are used to being surrounded by luxury, but they both have some steel in them as well. I have seen them both work tirelessly in the hospitals when other nobles lock their doors for fear of catching diseases. I have seen his highness face down a foreign diplomat and his army who tried to bully his way into a trade agreement. They can both be strong when they need to be." Pai says with admiration. He caresses his cheek where Sky slapped him and smiles ruefully.