Chapter 2

Three Weeks Ago

"Let me get this straight." Phayu looks at Pai like he has lost his mind, "You, the head of the royal guard, want me to kidnap the crown prince? Are you insane?"

"Yu, if there was another way, I would do it but if we don't act quickly the prince is going to die. I would give my own life before I let that happen." Pai says.

"I have never heard of a plan where so many things could go wrong." Saifah put in. "Can you not just get a message to the prince to let him know he is in danger. What about through this companion of his, aren't you sleeping with him? Surely, he could take a message to the prince."

"And then what? The prince is surrounded by traitors. I trust Sky to the end of the earth but if I tell him and he tells the prince, who is the prince going to go to first? It could, and probably would be the very people planning to have him assassinated." Pai says.

"So when are we supposed to do this?" Saifah asks.

"Not we, you are not getting involved with this." Phayu says firmly.

"But we always work together." Saifah says.

"Not this time. Look Heam and you are expecting a baby any day now. You said it yourself so many things could go wrong with this plan and then what. What do you think would happen to someone caught trying to kidnap the prince? Being hung as traitors would be the most merciful thing. No, you aren't going anywhere near this mess." Phayu says.

"So does that mean you are?" Pai asks.

"If we die, I am never going to forgive you for this." Phayu tells him with a sigh.

Now

Rain sits down boneless as if his legs wouldn't support him, "My uncle wants to have me assassinated?"

Pai looks at him with pity and says, "The thing is we don't think it's just your uncle."

"Then who else." Rain's eyes grow wide as he realizes. "No, it can't be. My uncle I can believe. He's always hated the fact that I am an omega. But not my...I mean why would he even? He's the one who named me as crown prince."

Sky says, "Didn't he name you crown prince because it's what your grandfather wanted? Besides you're so popular with the citizens he didn't have much of a choice."

Rain looks like he might cry at this, "But he's my father."

"Look," Sky says, "Do you have any proof?"

"That the king is involved, no." Pai admits, "but we do know the assassination attempt is real and that Rain's uncle is involved. We captured some of the people he hired personally."

"How was it supposed to happen?" Rain asks faintly.

"Your carriage was going to be attacked today. It was to look like bandits were responsible." Pai says.

"But the guards." Rain says.

"At least half of them are on your uncle's payroll. It's what made me suspicious in the first place. Many of my most loyal men were suddenly reassigned. I started looking into why and that's when I uncovered the plot." Pai says.

"So it was going to be today, and that's why my uncle suggested taking the path he did?" Rain asks.

"Did he?" Pai asks.

Rain realizes that he, his father, and his uncle had been alone at the time.

"How did you know where to find us?" He asks Phayu. "Pai didn't know the route we were taking, and he didn't have a chance to send a message."