"We're sorry, Professor. We got carried away by our enthusiasm," James promptly apologised, emphasising a deep regret.

"Yes, our enthusiasm's got, shall we say, the upper hand...", said Sirius, seriously.

"... because of our hand games. But, with hand on heart, we promise to get back to work in earnest", James continued, tapping his right hand on his chest.

"That's right. We won't be fiddling around and sitting on our hands anymore." assured Sirius, nodding vehemently.

"Alright, all hands on deck!" concluded James, emphatically.

An excited murmur, interspersed with the hushed giggles of the Gryffindors and the snide comments of the Slytherins, quickly spread in response to the exchange of jokes from the two boys, who were now no longer holding back from laughing out loud, all the while reveling in the attention they had gained.

The only Slytherin who struggled to participate in the sense of indignation shared by the other silver-green comrades was Alya, who was struggling with all her might not to burst out laughing in turn. She was forced to fake numerous coughs, so as not to be discovered. But the sight of Lily Evans sniggering with her fellow Gryffindors made her lose her mirth for real.

At that very moment, Alya wholeheartedly envied Lily Evans and her freedom to be able to laugh unabashedly at James' jokes, even though, as Alya suspected, her laughter was more dedicated to Sirius than to her bespectacled friend. In any case, the red-headed Gryffindor was allowed to participate freely in the goliardia of her two companions, without triggering unpleasant suspicions.

The fact that she could not participate in the same way threw Alya into a dark and shadowy mood.

However, Potions Hour was not yet over and seemed to have other surprises in store for young Black.

It took Professor Slughorn several minutes before order was restored in the classroom. Once eyes were once again on him - and not on James and Sirius - the moustachioed teacher ordered his students to stop their work and quickly tidy up their stations. He then motioned for them to approach and gather around him in a semicircle, a sign that an important communication was on its way.

In fact, as he had already anticipated to Alya a few weeks earlier, Slughorn also announced to all his other companions his intention to test them once they had returned from their Easter holidays.

Annoyed snorts and apprehensive murmurs were the response and the teacher once again found himself forced to tame the tension and calm the waters.

"Come on, come on. You have nothing to worry about. Just study and practise and you will see that the test will seem like a piece of cake!" he tried to reassure them, waving his moustache in a conciliatory manner. "But, remember: whatever potion or distillate you come across, the ingredient you must never forget is..."

"... patience!" crooned Alya, overthinking. She was so absorbed in her dark thoughts about Lily Evans and the laughter she couldn't afford, that young Black didn't even realise she had spoken.

The entire class fell silent, baffled by the unexpected intervention of her classmate, who usually tended to keep as quiet as possible during Potions class. Alya suddenly found herself surrounded by a handful of incredulous eyes. Even Slughorn stared at her in amazement.

"By all the cauldrons! Miss Black, you are so right! Five points to Slytherin," the professor exclaimed smugly, with a broad, jovial smile plastered under his walrus moustache.

The prize awarded guaranteed a slight improvement in mood among the Slytherin pupils, who gave Alya satisfied, though still somewhat bewildered, looks.

Even the Gryffindors looked at her in astonishment, though their expressions betrayed blatant disdain for her. The competition between the silver-green and red-gold houses had always been fierce. Which was all the more reason for Alya to rejoice; she had not missed the clucking of the tongue of a displeased Lily Evans, who was now talking to her friends and giving Alya disapproving glances. She stared at her for a long time, with a haughty air, while a slight sense of revenge galvanised her spirit.