Potions and Dreams

September 1971. Hogwarts.

The next morning, Alya woke up at dawn in excitement. It was her first day of classes at Hogwarts and she was excited to find out what wonderful things the day would bring. Her schoolmates were still sound asleep, so she got ready without making the slightest noise, careful not to wake them. She noticed one more figure, hidden among the green blankets, which Alya had seen empty the night before: a head full of raven curls hummed loudly.

Armed with her bag and with everything she needed for that first day of school, she trotted downstairs to the common room; there wasn't a soul there, except for a couple of other students.

Alya took a seat at one of the mahogany tables and pulled from her bag two sheets of parchment and a long raven feather, which she had purchased in Diagon Alley, during the shopping trip with her parents and Sirius.
A small inkwell, standing in the middle of the table, immediately jumped to attention and hopped quickly towards Alya; it bowed its head, politely offering its black contents.

"Oh, thank you!" trilled little Black smilingly.

She dipped the tip of the feather into the ink and began to write a letter addressed to her parents. As suggested by Narcissa, Alya warned them about her Sorting and how happy she was to be sent to Slytherin, following the family tradition. At the same time, the girl was careful not to mention Sirius and the result of his Sorting.

Alya knew well how infuriating it would make them to find out that their first-born had been sorted into Gryffindor. Therefore, little Black avoided mentioning the incident, leaving it to her brother to tell their parents.

Alya grabbed the second parchment, this time addressed to Regulus:

Dear Reg,

everything here at Hogwarts is fantastic! It's impossible to describe the powerful aura of magic that permeates every single stone in the school. The tales of our cousins don't do it justice at all!

Oh, Reg! How I wish you were here. You'd love, I'm sure!

As I've already written to Mum and Dad, I've been sorted into Slytherin - thankfully! And I've already made friends with two girls, Melyssa and Philippa. They too are purebloods and, like us, are part of the Sacred 28. I think Mum and Dad will be pleased.

Now comes the painful part. I haven't said anything to our parents, so, mind you, mouth shut! Sirius has gone to Gryffindor! I spoke to Narcissa last night and she looked worried about it. She also told me something else. Andromeda has run off with a Muggle-born! A Muggle-born, Reg! I still can't believe it. I'm shocked! Cissy thinks the uncles will proceed with the Ritualis Evulsionis immediately, to save the family reputation.

Did you know about this? Did Mum and Dad say anything to you about it?

Keep me posted and write to me as soon as you can.

A hug,

Alya

Alya quickly rolled up both parchments, writing the names of the addressees on each one.

Then, Alya exited the Slytherin common room and walked briskly towards the Owlery, near the west tower of the castle. It was quite far from the Slytherin dormitory and it took her less than a minute to get lost in the tangled mazes which snaked through the school. She had to stop several times to ask senior students or ghosts for further directions.