𝐌𝐚𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐝

Start from the beginning

She sat down the menus in front of us. "I'll be back to take your drink orders." She smiled at us while I nodded at her with gentleness. She turned her back to us, walking away from where we had been seated. I turned to look outside the window that showed a small field that rain poured down in. Rafe looked at the menu, tapping his fingers against the Spanish tiled table. Silence surrounded us while other tables had been filled with generous people. Rafe's eyes gleamed upon me almost like he hadn't been able to pull his eyes away from me. His blue eyes fell with darkness as if he was depressed, and I wouldn't have blamed him if he was. His father was a liar. Abusive. Evil. Faking his own death just for the sake of nothing but to cause more pain in his own family's life. He reached over the table to my hand that was laying against the table. His soft touch made goosebumps form upon my skin. His large hand intertwined with mine while his thumb rubbed circles upon the top part of my hand. "Are you sure you're okay?" He asked me and narrowed his eyebrows in hopes that I would tell him the truth about what had been happening to me.

My mind felt like a clutter. I couldn't think straight enough to respond to Rafe, I just nodded my head at him in response to his comment. He narrowed his eyebrows even more to get a good glimpse at the look that sat upon my face. He became worried at the look that was formed against my face. Rafe kept circling the top of my hand with his thumb. He nodded his head, not wanting to even try to disclose what was happening with me. He didn't want to disrupt anything in our relationship unless we were at home, never in public. I rubbed under my eyes with the tip of my finger. The hostess had sent a young waitress over to us. The waitress was heavily pregnant. Beautiful. Glowing. I dreamt of looking that beautiful while being pregnant but was more fearful that I wouldn't look good enough for Rafe, despite him being obsessed with me. She had dark brown hair that reached to the bottom of her back. Her eyelashes were natural and wispy. She was the definition of beautiful. Hollywood Beautiful. Rafe stared at me as the young girl came over to us, the young waitress laid her small hand on her large pregnant stomach while carrying a notepad. She had a bright smile. Rafe turned to look at her once he realized that her presence was there. "Hi guys! How are you guys?" She asked in a small southern accent as if she wasn't from here.

Rafe glanced back at me. "Good! You?" I asked her in response and shifted my mood. She looked down at me with a warm smile on her face that was welcoming. "I'm great! What can I get started for the both of you today?" She asked and held her small notepad down alongside her pen. I tucked strands of hair behind my ear and thought about what I had wanted to drink. "Can I have some water please?" I asked her with a fake smile to cover up the sadness that sat in my bloodstream. She nodded her head at me, writing it down before she looked back up and glanced at Rafe. "Can I have iced tea, please?" He asked her and glanced down at her stomach that made her look like she was close to her due date. "Yup! I'll be right back with those drinks." She responded and turned her back on the both of us to place our drink order. Rafe had reached over the table once again, pulling my hand inside of his hand. "You're going to be that pregnant." He smiled gently in excitement thinking about the baby that was on the way.

I nodded my head as my eyes gleamed into his blue eyes that I hoped our baby would have. His eyes were full of excitement and happiness knowing that I would bring a small child into the world. "I have an appointment for an ultrasound in the next couple of weeks." I mentioned to him with a small smile almost forgetting about what was happening in our lives. His eyes widened. "Am I allowed to come?" He asked full of tenderness that made my heart skip beats just looking at him. Rafe knew how to make me feel just even by looking at me or speaking with his raspy voice that was deep enough to be stern. "You're the father aren't you?" I laughed at him to lighten the mood. "Of course you can come, my love." I told him and ran my thumb across the top of his hand that he had in mine. His smile brightened and was much wider than before. "When do we start working on the nursery at home?" He asked me with gentleness forming in his deep blue eyes before the waitress came up to the table, placing our drinks in front of us. "More than likely a couple months before the baby is born." I responded to him before nodding my head at the waitress in a "thank you" mannerism.