Chapter Seventy: The Similarity Of Love And Endeavor (2)

Start from the beginning

"We need to reduce the number of times we have contact and see each other."

Chloe noticed how Leila's breathing became rougher. However, she still hadn't looked at her friend's face.

"From now on, let's address each other properly. It'll be awkward at first, but it'll gradually get better for us."

"Why? Why should I do that?"

Leila's voice trembled violently.

"....We can't act like little girls forever."

"It's not that... Chloe, it must be because of the letter! You're trying to keep your distance from me because of that letter, aren't you?"

Chloe was silent at Leila's assumption. Leila was, indeed, right.

"Chloe, it's my fault..."

"Don't apologize, Leila. I don't want you to apologize to me."

Chloe cut off Leila's attempt at an apology.

"And it's true that I made this decision because of the letter, but it's not just because of that."

"If it's not only because of the letter, then what?"

Leila asked, her expression communicating that she couldn't understand her friend.

"You've always been rude to my husband, haven't you? You call his name thoughtlessly, and talk about him as if you know him better than I do."

Leila frowned as Chloe explained.

"I'm very uncomfortable with that."

"Chloe, I couldn't help but to be like that because Gerard and I used to spend a lot of time together..."

"Yes, I understand. But my heart couldn't."

"You could have said that, couldn't you? I didn't know what you were thinking, so I just acted comfortably!"

"Yes, I could've said that, but I couldn't. It's my fault."

"...No, it's mine."

Leila was embarrassed when Chloe calmly admitted it was her fault. She didn't want to blame her friend.

"I know very well that you treat each other like family after spending your childhood together."

"..."

"That's why I felt disgusted with myself when I realized that I was jealous of your relationship, and I found it hard to put into words. Perhaps I would still be in that state if the letter incident didn't happen."

"But, Chloe... Gerard, I mean, the Marquis of Blanchett and I haven't even contacted each other since you got married. We were just old friends when we met you."

"I know, but it's just..."

Chloe paused for a moment to control her rising emotions.

'He liked you too much.'

She held back the words. She didn't need to make her friend confused with such an ambiguous remark when she was trying to clear up their relationship.

"I must have hated you so much."

The friend whom she hated as much as Gerard loved her. She still couldn't quite explain that ridiculous feeling.

"I know how much he loved you. I know how bright you were back then. It was difficult for me to endure."

"..."